Handbrake adjustment

I set out to do some of the front-end wiring tonight, but got frustrated by not knowing where things need to terminate for the engine sensors etc without the engine in (and with the engine in, putting the wiring in will be a ball ache, not to mention logistical problems), so.. I thought I'd change tactic just to do a small job to get my motivation back, and fit the microswitch for the handbrake.

Part of me would like to go electric handbrake, but I also think .. just build the damn thing the way the manual says, get it on the road, then mess with it later, so..

But I'll be damned if I can figure out the handbrake adjustment - my brain can't quite wrap itself around the way the cables work for some reason!

The drums are adjusted so that they don't drag (so adjusted up until they drag and then back off a click or two on the in-drum adjuster), and the cable is in.
    The cable is about ~50% through the horseshoe bit (with the threaded end) and then the other end is at the handbrake like the photos below.

Trouble is, if I move the cable so that the microswitch can be used (i.e. the bit that pulls the cable actually releases far enough back to hit the switch) then I can't get a single click on the ratchet unless I'm heaving on the handle with both hands; but if I have the cable set so I can get 3 clicks, the puller doesn't come 'off' far enough to hit the microswitch even at full adjustment.

I believe I need to 'juggle' the cable outer between the ends, but I can't quite figure out in which direction, or if that's even going to make any difference...

Halp!

So, with the cable 'back' far enough that the microswitch can be used, the handle looks like this in the 'off' position:

And it needs to stay about this high via a 'rest' so that the handle itself doesn't hit the microswitch:

But with the cable set far enough 'in' that I can get a few clicks on the handbrake, the puller doesn't come back far enough to reach the switch:

And the handle would need to be 'at rest' all the way up here to clear the switch as well:

i.e. the switch is still this far away from the bit that should actuate it:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding how the whole fly-off handbrake should work.. or the cables.. or the microswitch - but since I've never seen one assembled, it's hard to know!
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/showt...ight=handbrake pics of my old set up are on here, hope they help

Ah, cheers Tony - yep, that confirms where the cable ought to end up at the handle end, at least (and my suspicions).

I'm sure it was that thread which explained the microswitch to me originally, too, not that I could find it again for love nor money!
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club