Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Instead of crush washers, would Dowty seals be found in suitable sizes?
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

So if have an oil pressure transmitter to run the oil pressure gauge, oil temperature transmitter for the engine oil temperature gauge, do I not need an oil pressure switch to activate the low oil pressure (idiot) light? (Using all 3 ports)

My oil pressure sender (ETB instruments standard sender from circa 2000) is a combined sensor and switch – i.e. it drives both the gauge and the warning light via two separate outputs. Hence only one port is used.

Re water temperature sensors and fan switch. I have the temperature sensor in the inlet manifold, i.e. the hottest part of the system. This means the gauge on the dash tells me what temperature the engine is actually at. I have the fan switch sensor in the radiator bottom hose, i.e. after the radiator in the circuit. My logic goes that the fan needs to come on only if the radiator is not cooling the water sufficiently, i.e. if the returning water is coming out of the radiator too hot. Of course, you can infer this from the temperature of the water entering the radiator (i.e. in the top hose) but I figured a direct measurement was best. If you do use the bottom hose location for a fan switch, the switching temperature is lower, so you can’t just move the switch from the top to bottom hoses (you’ll overheat if you do). I bought an inline sensor housing (machined ally thing) to take the fan switch (which in my case is a sensor wired through a fancy control box allowing adjustment of the on and off temperatures independently).

Hope that’s clear (though having read it back, it might not be!)
    4.6RV8 Sumo on MSD (finally!)

Makes total sense thanks benjai, so one sensor does oil pressure and switch? What about temperature? What oil gauges do you have?

Water sender and switch solution sounds like a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumbleweed View Post
    Makes total sense thanks benjai, so one sensor does oil pressure and switch? What about temperature? What oil gauges do you have?
    I only have Oil Pressue (no temperature) in a standard 6 gauge setup - speedo, tach, oil pressure, water temp, fuel, volts
    4.6RV8 Sumo on MSD (finally!)

Threaded port on top of performer manifold is for the brake servo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12