Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rover V8 - Senders/switches/transmitters/thingymebobs

Hi, been going round and round on this but don’t seem to be getting a definitive answer: excuse my ignorance but can someone please tell me what transmitters I need on my rover 3.5 V8 oil pump? I seem to have three ports but quite often notice online not all being used? i assume Oil temperature transmitter, oil pressure switch AND transmitter!?

Also, my radiator does not have a threaded port for a fan switch, can this be put in the available port on the front of my Edelbrock performer manifold instead?

Many thanks!!!

11A03960 going in a Sumo
    Thanks,

Grumbleweed

If you're not meant to eat animals, how come they're made of meat!?

I have an RV8 in a sumo. The Oil pressure comes off the one on the oil filter housing. For Oil temperature I drilled and tapped the sump plug. For the water temperature there are adapter piece's that can be added to a hose with a hole for the sender or adjustable ones that the sender goes in at connection point and sealed by the jubilee clip.

That’s great thanks Phil, any reason oil temp can’t go in one of the other threads on the pump? Does it matter which thread they go in as long as they fit?

Did you choose the fan switch location over the manifold or do you have a different set up?

My instruments from ETB came with a sender I which I fitted. Don't know if the one already there will work with the gauge?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Trying to add a picture
    Last edited by philbrad73; 17-08-18 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Add picture

My thermostat is in the radiator a serria 2.3 diesel

Quote Originally Posted by Grumbleweed View Post
    Hi, been going round and round on this but don’t seem to be getting a definitive answer: excuse my ignorance but can someone please tell me what transmitters I need on my rover 3.5 V8 oil pump? I seem to have three ports but quite often notice online not all being used? i assume Oil temperature transmitter, oil pressure switch AND transmitter!?

Also, my radiator does not have a threaded port for a fan switch, can this be put in the available port on the front of my Edelbrock performer manifold instead?

Many thanks!!!

11A03960 going in a Sumo
    Hi Grumbleweed,

I have two of the ports on the oil pump housing used for the oil pressure and oil temperature senders. The other just has a blanking bolt. I have heard of people wiring in an engine cut-off if the oil pressure drops to zero. I'm not sure if a second pressure sender is used or if it can be wired from the pressure gauge sender feed. The blanked off port obviously gives options if you wanted to consider such a cut-off.

The threaded port on your inlet manifold may be for the water temperature sender? If it is a spare port then I can't see a reason why it shouldn't be used for a suitable fan switch. My fan switch is different and uses a capillary tube that is fitted in the top hose where it attaches to the radiator. I have also seen fan switches built into the neck of a filler cap placed in the top hose (handy for getting the air out).

Just for clarification, my gauges are Smiths/Lucas jobbies so the standard senders from Rimmers etc are compatible. Different gauge manufacturers may require you to use their senders.

Russ.
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    1984 DAX Cobra
    Rover 3.5 V8 with Holley carburetor.

Thanks, very useful. So my understanding was slightly wrong; I need a water temp transmitter in manifold AND fan switch in top coolant hose? (There is also a second threaded port on the top of the manifold?)

Does it matter which port on the oil pump they are located? (Thread size may dictate that!)

water temp sender on manifold

Photos are very helpful thanks Phil. I’ve been struggling to get suitably sized crushable copper washers for all the transmitters, Rimmers don’t seem to fit with the equipment they send.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast