Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Sorry didn't realise it was actually a needle bearing. I had the same problem your having once. I destroyed the bearing trying to pull it out. Was advised to drop a small weld on the remaining ring of the bearing in the end of the crankshaft and after i did this it literally fell out. Hope this helps.

This might be of help too:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H687C83vJjo

Ball type pilot bearing as opposed to needle type, but similar idea. Creative use of the cold chisel to keep the arms of the puller locked behind the housing. Hope you get the blighter out.

Thanks for your support guys.

The fuel pump will fit by the looks of it as the chassis is a Mk 4, XJS rear end version (not De Dion) and taking some measurements yesterday there looks to be enough space for the pump to sit free of the chassis. Looks to be tight to the steering rack input shaft though. I'll know more soon.
    I'm having an input shaft bearing support bracket welded up for me at the moment. We shall see soon enough if it all goes together without issue.

I'll start off with the new bearing puller, applying more pressure on it as the day goes on.
    Failing that, i'll carefully grind out a section of the bearing, taking care not to hit the crankshaft.
    Last resort, Tinka's welding method.

I'll watch the vid above and see if that sheds any alternatives.

It will come out, if its the last thing i doooooooo.
    Regards
    Richard

Dax - Standard Chassis, a boot full of parts, Chevy 383 Stroker and Tremec TKO 600. Time for paint!

When I did mine I used a tig welder so added no metal its all about the heat.

So, an update on the pilot bearing.

I waited a week for a new puller that said it would fit down to a 1/2 inch. It arrived this morning. At last I thought! No chance. It will go to just over 3/4 inch but not small enough for my bearing.
    Having tried the grease and bread hydraulic methods, which failed. I tried the grind and drill the hell out of it method. And success. After 2 hours of effort it finally moved and gave up.

After much cleaning, the new bearing is in, the bellhousing has been dialled in and found to be 2.5 though off centre. So well within the 5 thou tolerance.

One further question though.

I have Repower's bellhousing and their dust cover plate that sits behind the flywheel and attaches to the bottom edge of the bell. Do you guys always fit this dust cover?
    Reason for asking is its too thick (only a few thou) to sit nicely between the starter motor and the bellhousing. And as a result will put the bellhousing out of parallel with the rear face of the block.
    Any thoughts?
    Regards
    Richard

Dax - Standard Chassis, a boot full of parts, Chevy 383 Stroker and Tremec TKO 600. Time for paint!

You could get a sanding disk and trumpet for a 4.5" grinder and just sand it down so it fits flush

matt

What I've done is to cut out the part of the dust cover that presses up against the starter. So all fits now.

Got the clutch installed and throw out bearing. Couldn't get the gearbox in today. But I'll get that sorted tomorrow I'm sure.

A final check of the engine bay over the weekend and I'll drop the engine in place, assuming all goes to plan that is.

Cheers
    Regards
    Richard

An update.

So, having got the pipes all fitted in the engine bay, the wiring all in, rad in, everything connected up, it was time for the engine to slide into its new home.

It took 3.5 hrs. But it's IN. And thanks to my neighbour, Darren for his commitment and enthusiasm in the cold.

Just got to dril the gearbox mount tomorrow. At the moment the gearbox is resting on the mount as a support. Shouldn't be too much hassle tomorrow.

It is such a good feeling to reach this milestone.

Next milestone will be first engine start. Woo ha.
    Regards
    Richard

Pics? Fingers crossed for the start up.

IMG_1088.JPG

Lets see if this pic uploads.
    Regards
    Richard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast