Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Perth
    Age
    52
    Posts
    1,634

    Crendon, AHP, No1, officially, introduced, to ,434,

    Hi All,

    Just an update on No 1..... engine first fit to check out final battery/fuel lines, clutch slave/bracket installation, prop shaft measurement, transmission bracket location and coolant hose routing.

    A fair bit of progress also elsewhere on No1, lights/fog/reverse, loom, heater (err now removed again), wiper motor and radiator installed.



    cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kiel and Duncan (dad and the lad errr young man now)

    AHP Crendon Chassis No 1
    Ford FE 434, dual quad, Toploader total old school all the way
    https://www.crendonreplicas.com/
    http://www.absolutehorsepower.co.uk/

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    715
    Feel a bit nervous when the engine is over the front of the car? Whether you push the car under the engine, or wheel the crane over the car, there's a point of nervousness I'm always glad when it's over!

    Last time I took my engine out I used a leveller similar to the one in your pictures. This added length between the engine and the tip of the crane. Once the engine was up as high as it could go, I went to pull the crane back, but didn't get far as a florescent light fixture protruding from the ceiling was in the way. The engine was only supported by the crane hydraulics for some time as I had to lower the car down a bit. The nervousness lasted a loooong time....
    John

    my world... my universe... my garage.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Paignton Devon
    Posts
    268
    Good progress!, did you have to extend your engine crane reach past the standard length ?, if so by how much?

    Roger

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Perth
    Age
    52
    Posts
    1,634
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggbert View Post
    Feel a bit nervous when the engine is over the front of the car? Whether you push the car under the engine, or wheel the crane over the car, there's a point of nervousness I'm always glad when it's over!

    Last time I took my engine out I used a leveller similar to the one in your pictures. This added length between the engine and the tip of the crane. Once the engine was up as high as it could go, I went to pull the crane back, but didn't get far as a florescent light fixture protruding from the ceiling was in the way. The engine was only supported by the crane hydraulics for some time as I had to lower the car down a bit. The nervousness lasted a loooong time....
    Nervous John....that was a bit of an understatement.

    Yes the leveler made all the difference, Crendon is a pretty good design here since you can remove the trans tunnel top panel and centre bulkhead panelling to give loads of room ease the motor and trans in.

    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kiel and Duncan (dad and the lad errr young man now)

    AHP Crendon Chassis No 1
    Ford FE 434, dual quad, Toploader total old school all the way
    https://www.crendonreplicas.com/
    http://www.absolutehorsepower.co.uk/

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Perth
    Age
    52
    Posts
    1,634
    Quote Originally Posted by rpm015 View Post
    Good progress!, did you have to extend your engine crane reach past the standard length ?, if so by how much?

    Roger
    Thanks Roger,

    Yes had to extend the reach by 250mm but be very careful of the crane tipping as you can see we wedge loads of heavy stuff under and around the rear of the crane as a counter balance. Once on position we moved the car not the crane to do the aligning.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kiel and Duncan (dad and the lad errr young man now)

    AHP Crendon Chassis No 1
    Ford FE 434, dual quad, Toploader total old school all the way
    https://www.crendonreplicas.com/
    http://www.absolutehorsepower.co.uk/

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    715
    I see you have a Quick Time bell-housing.... (read jealous here). Nice!

    I'm so pleased to see you making progress. Will you have the self-discipline to "not" start the engine until the car is completed? I didn't! LOL. My brother showed up to see the engine in the car and asked if it ran. "Time to find out" I said and dribbled a little gas down the carbs. Instant noise.... instant gratification.... instant smiles!

    Yes, your thread brings back a lot of memories. Thank-you!

    Back to engine installations:

    Moving the car under the engine makes more sense. I didn't install the transmission at the same time as the engine, so I needed space under the car to put in bolts, etc. Up on stands, there was no way to move the car, just the crane. The engine does wobble around a lot when the crane is moved. A steady hand from a helper is required.

    As I didn't want the crane extended any more than needed, moving the crane ended up with the hydraulic cylinder almost touching the fibreglass nose. Some rags were draped there... just in case.

    Here's a pic of my first installation with no leveller. You can see the ceiling light fixture that caused me trouble during a repeat performance when I used the leveller.

    John

    my world... my universe... my garage.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Perth
    Age
    52
    Posts
    1,634
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggbert View Post
    I see you have a Quick Time bell-housing.... (read jealous here). Nice!

    I'm so pleased to see you making progress. Will you have the self-discipline to "not" start the engine until the car is completed? I didn't! LOL. My brother showed up to see the engine in the car and asked if it ran. "Time to find out" I said and dribbled a little gas down the carbs. Instant noise.... instant gratification.... instant smiles!

    Yes, your thread brings back a lot of memories. Thank-you!

    Back to engine installations:

    Moving the car under the engine makes more sense. I didn't install the transmission at the same time as the engine, so I needed space under the car to put in bolts, etc. Up on stands, there was no way to move the car, just the crane. The engine does wobble around a lot when the crane is moved. A steady hand from a helper is required.

    As I didn't want the crane extended any more than needed, moving the crane ended up with the hydraulic cylinder almost touching the fibreglass nose. Some rags were draped there... just in case.

    Here's a pic of my first installation with no leveller. You can see the ceiling light fixture that caused me trouble during a repeat performance when I used the leveller.

    Thanks John,

    No engine starts yet....engine will have to come back out (probably) to final fit the fuel line and do the clutch lever mods required to clear the main rails.
    The other option could be to just take the trans off the back of the engine but it is a heavy little rascal of a thing.

    No chance of our crane hitting the light fitments it has nothing like the elevation you have, in fact we had to use the leveller to "Fosbury Flop" the bell housing and then the sump over the hinge area of the bonnet.
    You must also have a longer reach crane too...we had the ram right up to the nose with the original setup and still 250mm short of reaching.

    The Quicktime was a spot of luck...we got a good deal and that was before realising how good they actually were, especially for indexing


    cheers
    Kiel and Duncan (dad and the lad errr young man now)

    AHP Crendon Chassis No 1
    Ford FE 434, dual quad, Toploader total old school all the way
    https://www.crendonreplicas.com/
    http://www.absolutehorsepower.co.uk/

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Perth
    Age
    52
    Posts
    1,634
    Another update on No1

    Seats in,roll bar installed, screen/wipers installed, dash in oh and engine (hopefully) final install.

    Carbs/fuel line also final install onto engine electrics and plumbing.



    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kiel and Duncan (dad and the lad errr young man now)

    AHP Crendon Chassis No 1
    Ford FE 434, dual quad, Toploader total old school all the way
    https://www.crendonreplicas.com/
    http://www.absolutehorsepower.co.uk/

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Rue de Merde
    Posts
    711
    Looking Good Kiel!
    Crendon No 46 - Southern Automotive 452 cu in BBF & Tremec TKO - Starting with 510Bhp and we'll take it from there.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Perth
    Age
    52
    Posts
    1,634
    Thanks Ian
    Kiel and Duncan (dad and the lad errr young man now)

    AHP Crendon Chassis No 1
    Ford FE 434, dual quad, Toploader total old school all the way
    https://www.crendonreplicas.com/
    http://www.absolutehorsepower.co.uk/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •