Ford 302 color of engine oil..

Hi ,

My car runs 1000-1200 miles per year ( 1600 - 2000 Km ).
    Only on weekends and most of the time on highways..
    I change engine ( ford 302 ) oil twice a year .. just because i like to extra take care of the car.
    My question is - Why the engine oil has gray black color when i change it .. ? it's supposed to be brown or dark brown to black.
    I also think that after only 800 km or so .. the engine oil should be clean and not dirty ..
    Any thoughts ?
    B.T.W - i heard about Engine Flush materials .. i think that they can cause leaks to old engines .. is it true ?

How hot does your engine run and are you only doing short runs so it never really gets up to propper working temperature?

Quote Originally Posted by TINKA View Post
    How hot does your engine run and are you only doing short runs so it never really gets up to propper working temperature?
    The travel period is for about 1 hour or 1 hour and a half every weekend .
    The engine reaches propper working temperature after 10 minutes or so ..

The "gray" often indicates water in the oil. You might have a slight gasket leak. Ethylene glycol can also show up as white globules against black oil. Like bits of mayonnaise in molasses. Keep a lookout for that as well.
    John

“A prudent person profits from personal experience, a wise one from the experience of others.”

My advice about flushing oils is do not go that route,
    you will proberbly regret it due to the flushing oil (diesel/oil mix) doing its job correctly.
    The problem being that there will be loads of bits ciculating around the engine causing blockages in the oil galleries which is'nt good,
    Be carefull ,

Regards,

Chris .