Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Non insulated, crimped, soldered (leaded if you can get it ) then heat shrink sleaving . Takes a bit longer but proper job.

With a proper crimp tool they make excellent connections.

But as to the OPs post: ebay is your friend, and always buy x2 more than you need - you will use them somewhere - and avoid paying halford's silly prices.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Soldering a ‘good’ crimped joint actually produces a inferior joint as it produces a stress raiser where the solder wicks up in the wire. Under vibration, a soldered crimp will break at the extremities of the solder, the longevity of the joint will be down to the support given by heatsrink and also support of the harness/wire. Getting a ‘good’ crimped joint is an issue if the crimp is pre-insulated or the tooling is not up to it.

soldering a badly crimped joint is likely to improve the joint as the failure mechanism will likely be a poor electrical joint, ie open circuit or resistance increase, which the solder will improve.

I work for an aerospace company that manufactures electrical harnesses that are used on aero engines, so it’s a harsh environment- joints are crimped only. In the past, company also made in-tank aero fuel gauging harnesses, again crimp only.

Like others have said, get a good tool, use non insulated crimps, crimp only and then insulate after crimping and support well.
    Roger

RamSC 351 Cleveland

on the road 8 years- nearly finished

Yup been crimping in my job for 22 years, dont like them outside the cockpit though, the aluminium can corrode. I solder on brass ring terms or even stainless for the earths

Supplier Beale.co.uk. For general public

I have other suppliers for trade prces on quantities.

Graham

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12