Thread: AK Horn Wiring

AK Horn Wiring

Hi,
    I've read the various posts on wiring the horn up on the AK - but still very confused about how to connect it all up. I think I have all the right parts and have added pictures below.
    I have a momo steering wheel with centre horn push and collapsable boss.

On the horn push there are two terminals, and on the boss there is a single wire with a spade terminal on it.
    I'm assuming I connect this wire to one of the connectors on the horn push,but what to I connect to the other connector on the horn push?

I've also read that the brass ring on the boss makes contact with the spring bush. I have the bush on the column, but what do I connect to the other end of the spring bush?

Thanks

Pete

IMG_0709.jpgIMG_0710.jpgIMG_0711.jpgIMG_0712.jpgIMG_0713.jpg
    Follow my progress here http://petesakcobra.blogspot.com

I think the AK / BMW horn used only one wire, which means the horn is live and the steering column is the earth.

I think you need a single terminal horn, or the second terminal needs to be connected to earth inside the boss (I think).

I'm not sure of how your car is wired as i scratch built my loom but as craig said the spring contact ring connects to the horn relay and the other spade connects to the column which is grounded you can check this by touching breifly with a flying lead from the spring conctact to ground and see if the horn beeps
    cheers mike

I agree with Craig. The AK loom offers two wires to the horn. One is switched live, the other is the return to the column slip ring. The flying lead on the steering boss connects to the centre connector on the horn button. The spring connector on the edge of the horn button makes the earth connection to the wheel boss when horn is pressed.
    The earth is via the column shaft and it’s most likely you will need to insert earth continuity strap to bridge the flexible joint in the column.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers
    Steve

My missus asked me to build her a Cobra! – How good is that!

AK Gen2 chassis arrived 12/2/15 IVA Passed 2/7/18 on road 29/7/18
    http://stevesakcobrabuild.blogspot.com

Hi,

Firstly you need to connect the Blue/Black wire to the back of the plunger on the steering column, This wire is in the plug that goes to your indicator stalk.
    You need a two pin horn which has two Blue/Black wires going to it, connect them on each terminal.
    Then your push button horn has the wire that is part of the boss going to one terminal , the other terminal needs a wire about 2" in lengh with a spade one end and a small ring terminal the other end. Connect the spade end to the spare terminal on the horn push. The ring end then needs to be sandwiched between the boss and the wheel when you attach the wheel with the six bolts. This will create the earth.
    You might need to run a wire from the underside of the column to the scuttle hoop to earth the coulmn to the car.

Regards

Jon

Thanks all for the guidance. Horn all working now
    Follow my progress here http://petesakcobra.blogspot.com