Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LED conversion for round brake lights

I noticed that the standard round Lucas L488 brake lights were a very weak compared to modern vehicles so thought I'd have a look at converting them to LED.

Did a bit of digging online and found http://www.bettercarlighting.co.uk/i...&productId=583

Spoke to Gil the very nice chap who designed them, and he told me that his kit is idiot proof to fit, and twice as bright as a normal bulb (but wont dazzle other road users). So I bought some and they great - so much better - £50 and 5 minutes effort well spent!

Alex

Not sure if these are any good but it might be an alternative to replacing the whole fitment:

http://www.dynamoregulatorconversion...bulbs-shop.php
    Kittihawk: Pilgrim Sumo MK3 built '93/'94 with 2.1L Stage 2 Pinto and Ford Type 9 5-Speed Gearbox

Interesting, don’t need to replace the fitting though - it fits straight in the bulb socket - but then stick on a padded mount for a disc covered in leds. So it gives a broader spread of light if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexB74 View Post
    Interesting, don’t need to replace the fitting though - it fits straight in the bulb socket - but then stick on a padded mount for a disc covered in leds. So it gives a broader spread of light if that makes sense.
    So no wiring to do then and no relay change if only rear brake lights being done?
    Dek

I fitted LED stop and tail lights last year. Bought the bulbs from ebay and just plugged them in and they work fine. The first ones I bought were too big so I searched around and found the correct smaller ones on Ebay. Went throught the MOT with them too.
    MKIII Pilgrim Sumo. 3.5 Litre Rover V8

https://classiccartouring.com
    For Touring and Camping

That’s it - done in minutes. And I have to say, as I got caught out in torrential weather today with appalling visibility I was really grateful to have them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I fitted LED stop and tail lights last year. Bought the bulbs from ebay and just plugged them in and they work fine. The first ones I bought were too big so I searched around and found the correct smaller ones on Ebay. Went throught the MOT with them too.
    Do you have a link Ken?
    Thanks.
    Dek

I’d be interested to see the difference in light spread between the single type LED bulb and the LED disc. Any chance of a pic Ken? I’ll post some up..

What a great idea here for extra road safety.
    Guess ok for IVA? Should please examiner.
    Ive seen High level rear brake lights done in some nice ways which is a good idea to warn the increasing numbers of silly drivers who insist on driving close up ones rear end!

Quote Originally Posted by Cobragreyhead View Post
    What a great idea here for extra road safety.
    Guess ok for IVA? Should please examiner.
    Ive seen High level rear brake lights done in some nice ways which is a good idea to warn the increasing numbers of silly drivers who insist on driving close up ones rear end!
    Apologies for high jacking the thread but Cobragreyhead if you still want my seats please send me a pm. Last time of asking before I offer them to others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast