Thread: feedback ABS

feedback ABS

OK please go easy on me……. I've been toying with the idea of installing ABS on my cobra as the peace of mind out ways the extra effort and minimal expense, the bmw e46 has a stand alone abs unit which is independent of the ecu and a aftermarket wiring loom can be purchased so here's my attempts at the front hubs luckily the rear hub offered straight up

The brackets are still wet will need a sand off and second coat but you get the idea

Your views?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by jaysop View Post
    OK please go easy on me……. I've been toying with the idea of installing ABS on my cobra as the peace of mind out ways the extra effort and minimal expense, the bmw e46 has a stand alone abs unit which is independent of the ecu and a aftermarket wiring loom can be purchased so here's my attempts at the front hubs luckily the rear hub offered straight up

The brackets are still wet will need a sand off and second coat but you get the idea

Your views?
    for some reason can only upload 5 photos ……….. anyways …. and made a bracket to mount my new shiny parts ….. and i know only tempary secured on will be welded once i've done finial adjustments

I'd be very interested in the outcome of your setup. I have all the reluctor rings ,sensors and a homemade loom installed in my Cobra but the Rover ABS unit is possibly faulty plus there are a couple of mystery wires I still can't find out if their needed. So thumbs up from me.

you should definitely look at the bmw mk60 ate abs unit from all my research it is a good unit bmsports in the uk supply's the wiring loom and just pos and neg plus sensors

If you're running an aftermarket fuel injection and you can can you the ABS system working, then presumably you're a good ways towards a traction control system also? Probably just as helpful a safety aid as well.
    Always interesting to see new ideas added to these cars
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader/Vintage cast knock on wheels
    Dedion Dax/Clarkson 383 Chevy with roller 4/7 swap cam, AFR195 heads - SOLD

I do have a stand alone ecu in the respect its the LS connect and cruise package, this company in America https://3dmmotorsport.com/collection...arness-pro-kit …..dose a wiring harness that will incorporates a Dynamic Stability Control (DSC). but it requires a steering angle sensor welded onto the steering column, i dought that would be to hard to achieve, the good thing is all abs and DSC functions can be switched on and off at will,

Interesting project this, I've had similar thoughts myself, didn't realise stand-alone units were available. Do you have any pictures of the ABS harware?

Good luck with it.

Really interesting post, especially as the mk60 ate is fitted to loads of makes.

Alan.
    AK Gen II on the road Jan '19
    GM LQ4 364ci, LS9 cam, Omex 710.
    Tremec T56 Terminator.
    3.27:1 Powr-lok LSD

Did a bit more on the wiring today and started to run the radiator lines ,,