Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Advice and opinions needed please

Hi folks, I am after a bit of advice and your valued opinions please if I may.

I have a Dax cobra running a v8 Rover lump fully rebuilt by Scholar engineering 5k ago. Thats miles not years as I am not that old yet!

I may need to part with the car as I have only driven it 5k miles or so since having it SVA'd. Its until recently been sat in my heated and insulated garage until I moved. Now I no longer have the room realistically

The car is reliable, good looking an eye catcher as they all are however here is my dilemma.

Its in the original gel coat and only trimmed enough to get it through the sva.

Now the question is do I finish it with a nice paint job and trim or do I sell as is to allow someone else to put their stamp on it.

If I paint it am I at risk of limiting my market or do people really fall in love with the finished item.

So in your opinion what option would you consider the best paint or not paint and what would be a realistic value either way.

Yes you may say how longs a piece of string but you need to grasp a bit to measure in the first place.
    Pictures for your perusalThanks for any advice its genuinely appreciated
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you can find somewhere that will give it a cheapish paint job, I'd say paint it, and tidy interior.
    I think a dealer may well be interested in buying the car as that's what they can do quickly and cheaply and make a handsome profit, at the expense of the price offered to you.
    Suggest you first think about your minimum price as-is, and maximum price you might get with paint and trim and then decide if the hassle factor is worth it.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

I think it depends on what you are looking for in its current state (looks lovely by the way) and what it will be worth completed?
    Personally I would rather purchase as is and allow me to have a car in the colour scheme of my choosing, however others may be put off by the work involved to do so. I asked a couple of pals the question and they said the same as myself, would rather paint it themselves.

The dealers will no doubt be banging on your door pretty quickly!!

You didn’t show a picture of the interior to see what is left to do inside!

Best of luck with whatever you choose.

Paul.
    Last edited by Highlander; 28-08-18 at 08:03 AM.
    Best anti speeding device - a rear view mirror with a police car in it.
    A pedestrian - someone who thought there was still a couple of gallons in the tank.
    AK Chassis and body collected 12.12.14

To do a good pain job would be 3k-4k plus . Not sure on how much your looking at on the interior to finish but if you have seats ? The are the most expensive items .
    Dax January prices kits come in at £2750 for black or £3150 colour items below plus vat
    Kit contents:
    • Leather dashboard with glove box
    • 2 luxury Leather Door Pads with rouched Pockets +
    Capping
    • Full Luxury Carpet including Boot area
    • 2 Leather Seats with double piping❂, runners with subframes

• Leather Padded Cockpit Surround (4 pcs.)
    • Leather Gaiters for Handbrake & Gearlever
    • Leather Trim for Steering Column Shroud

So all in your out lay costs could be another £5k-7k.

Selling the car as is would give the owner his own stamp and colour choice is to everyones on choice . I would sell the car as it is and I think you still get a strong price.As you have had the car on the road and registered that is reassurance to the buyer .

How much time do you have? That is the limiting factor by the sound of things as you've not been able to drive the car match.

If you don't realistically have the time to do all the above work, or indeed the inclination as you're selling the car I'd sell in its current state. You may invest and not get that uplift back in value.

I would say sell as it is. If you get it painted then you are going to have to do the interior to suit and so much more. As is the customer can choose exactly what they want and although the price might be less would you really get back all the expense of a paint job and trim ?
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Private message sent.

Let me tell you this, I agreed a price for my old AK before it was painted but at the last minute the buyer pulled out.

I then decided to get it painted and sold it within a week for £11,000 more than the first agreed price.

Hi Kevin,
    Thank you for taking the time to reply I appreciate it. I would struggle with putting a quick paint job on it. Me being me I would have to spend the cash and get a good one done without compromise. I am a bit odd like that. I look at houses that have been turned by developers and cringe when I see the finish. I would hate to do have a paint job that people look at and say I can see the kink in the wing where the foot boxes go. I do that. So if I paint it it has to be good. Values are difficult to find too. Where do you go to find values of the things, its very hard to research. Anyway thanks again for taking the time I appreciate it.

Hi Highlander,
    Thank you for taking time out of your day to reply. I appreciate it.
    I also appreciate the praise too as I love the damn thing and will regret selling it. I know that for a fact but in 20 years time I can always built another!
    Your points are very valid. The trim inside is virtually there just needs a leather clean, retrim on seats and carpet.
    The body needs everything off and paint job.
    I am not fazed by the work as thats the icing on the cake. The finished gleaming article sat on your drive. Then I wouldnt sell it nor probably drive it as I would be come precious about it. Been there and done that one with a bike.

So once again thank you I now have to find a realistic value to sell as is and a finished value.
    We buy any car I think not
    Cheers
    #
    Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    I think it depends on what you are looking for in its current state (looks lovely by the way) and what it will be worth completed?
    Personally I would rather purchase as is and allow me to have a car in the colour scheme of my choosing, however others may be put off by the work involved to do so. I asked a couple of pals the question and they said the same as myself, would rather paint it themselves.

The dealers will no doubt be banging on your door pretty quickly!!

You didn’t show a picture of the interior to see what is left to do inside!

Best of luck with whatever you choose.

Paul.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast