but the gap from the windscreen pillar to the door edge are

drivers side 55mm

passenger side 40mm

so measuring the door gaps as per pic

the passenger side is 73cm

the drivers side is 71cm

so the body is twisted on the horizontal axis

so

my first questions are is this normal mould tolerances and whats the best approach to straighten the windscreen out.

2nd part with the rake set to 857mm the gap between the body and the screen is about 20mm with it touching on the pillar edges the seal i had with the wind screen is no where near thick enough to fill the gap.

also the pillars are at such and angle as per pics they hardly align the brackets to bolt it too again is this normal

thanks

matt
    Attached Images Attached Images

No your body is not twisted, the passenger measurement is bigger on all the body's
    DAX TOJEIRO DE DION
    CHEVY SB 383 STROKER 6.2Ltr 450 Hp
    Tremec TKO 3550 3.54.1 Jag Diff
    RCR Mk 1 GT 40 in build

Quote Originally Posted by andy l View Post
    No your body is not twisted, the passenger measurement is bigger on all the body's
    err ok so is the pillar to door gap body that shows isnt noticable that its bigger one side than the other?

Hi Matt

I fitted my windscreen a couple of weeks ago. If I understand correctly, there is a big gap between the body and the bottom edge of the windscreen at the centre, while the screen is touching the body at the edges/ pillars.

What you need to do is to pull the bottom of the windscreen back towards the cockpit. That will change the angle of rake. Keep the top/centre of the screen at the same distance (34 inches if I recall correctly) from the front edge centre of the rear deck of the cockpit. This will bring the bottom centre of the screen much closer to the body as the angle of rake has changed. You will also find the fixing bolt holes in the windscreen pillars are positioned over the chassis plates. Yours look to be too far forward to me.

Hope that helps.
    Regards
    Richard

Dax - Standard Chassis, a boot full of parts, Chevy 383 Stroker and Tremec TKO 600. Time for paint!

Hi Matt, remember that you are working in three dimensions here. Can you pull the passenger side pillar back towards the cockpit by 20mm?

Maybe try using some g-clamps to hold the pillars to the chassis plates whilst you manipulate the screen to where you want it, easing them as you make small adjustments. Extra pair of hands really helped out. It took a while to get spot on, but it’s well worth getting this right. You’ll crack it, just keep measuring, measuring and adjusting

Hi guys thanks for the advice.

So my understanding is i need to elongate the slots in the body to bring the whole screen back towards the cabin. Which then will increase the rake allowing the bottom of the windscreen to sit better on the body.but still keep the 857mm and balance it out on eachside so its even.

The most frustraiting thing is I've had the screen for yrs in front room safe wait to fit it. I go to fit it and fibd my daughter has accidentally knocked something on it and cracked the screen 😭😭😭
    I suppose least i can be a bit rougher fitting it now 😭

Yep. The fitment would be better if you have the rubber strip in place at the base of the screen; you can gauge the fit better. Use a little washing up liquid to help lessen the friction it creates.

I might have some time today to measure up mine if you think it will help? My passenger side door aperture is only 5mm larger than the drivers side, FYI. Hope that crack won’t cause problems at IVA time.

hi

that would be good to know ill be able to guage if im going in the right direction then.

i got the strip but as it wasnt doing anything i took it off for the picture

i may get the glass replace once the build is complete its frustrating but ill probably only break it again if i fix it now

Wished to pm these to you, but couldn’t access “from file” so hope ok posting them here. Hope they help you out, sure there’s other methods too.

Windscreen 1: yellow=280mm red=50mm

Windscreen 2:yellow=950mm

Windscreen 3:You don’t need the middle bolt if you get it right first time, but I did....

Windscreen 4: yellow=13mm red=10mm (approx. these)

Best with it. Cheers.

hi

ive been out and increased slot length.

i have tilted windscreen forward till it is touching in the middle and pulled the pillars back as far as they will go see pics..

the pillars are hitting the door mounting plates stopping them from coming back any further if i tilt the screen towards the cab the gap open up between tub and bottom of windscreen.

i am equal on both sides at 81cm with the middle distance of 970mm

as you can see in the pics i still have a large gap at each edge between the rubber and the windscreen and body.

i have fitted the plates as these have to be there when the windscreen is fitted correctly though these are acting as a packer keeping the edge up higher

am thinking i need to file away the bottom edges of the screen on the corners now to get it to fit lower?

and slot the door hing brackets

thanks

matt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast