Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Learning to Weld

I've been thinking about how to mount my side pipes and that got me on to wondering about learning how to weld. A quick bit of googling has led me to City & Guilds Level 1 courses and The Welding Academy (I live in Cheshire). Has anyone else done this course and was it a worthwhile use of time?
    Kittihawk: Pilgrim Sumo MK3 built '93/'94 with 2.1L Stage 2 Pinto and Ford Type 9 5-Speed Gearbox

Having worked years ago within the FE college sector I would guess that there is not whole heap of content in a level one course.
    Things may have changed but I recall that finance department seemed to think that the annoying requirement to have to continually buy welding material and consumables was uncessary.
    Sometimes the independent trading in sector can give better value on short course basis. They are much more able to be flexible rather than conform to rigid documentary course requirements.

Just my two peneth.

Andy
    A S motorsport Ltd. 01379 688356 mob; 07909531816 web; asmotorsport.co.uk email \"andrewsoar@yahoo.com\"

I would also say it depends on what you wanted to weld and using Tig or Mig a different ball game. Also with gas . I guess your side pipes are stainless ? and you want some attached mounting arms to the bottom of the exhausts then mounted on rubber bobs to take the fixing and movement. Having done both I prefer Tig with gas but you have a lot more to think about and feeder rod type to use .
    A course might be a good introduction but if you can get some one to do one on one training local you just need practice and practice with off cuts and pieces.

You can pretty much everything online these days, with some really great instructional videos.

Try weldingtipsandtricks on youtube for some great content and also here

www.mig-welding.co.uk

I went to various tech college evening courses over the years but what's available on t'net is far better.
    Cheers

Myles D-W

Useful input - thanks, folks. I'll check out the videos first. I don't have any kit so maybe I'll invest in that rather than the course. My side pipes already have brackets welded on so it's just the brackets that I need to fabricate, presumably in mild steel. I'm thinking I'll then bolt them to the galvanised chassis rather than weld them on.
    Kittihawk: Pilgrim Sumo MK3 built '93/'94 with 2.1L Stage 2 Pinto and Ford Type 9 5-Speed Gearbox

Where in Cheshire are you? I have both MIG and TIG equipment and would be happy to show you the basics - I'm no expert but Ive had some practice....
    Stan

I bought myself a mig welder when I was 22. I practised and experimented and got confident at it. I will say, though - for ages I thought I was really bad at welding, but I was still using the flux-cored, 'no-gas' type wire. Don't do it. When I eventually plugged a gas bottle in and ditched the fluxed wire, I immediately realised that I was actually not bad at welding at all.
    So - go straight for a 150 amp mig, buy an auto-darkening helmet for hands-free welding, and have a play with it. My advice.
    DAX Cobra MK3 chassis, MK4 shell. RV8.

Aldi just had auto dark helmets on special
    A S motorsport Ltd. 01379 688356 mob; 07909531816 web; asmotorsport.co.uk email \"andrewsoar@yahoo.com\"

Quote Originally Posted by chesterak View Post
    Where in Cheshire are you? I have both MIG and TIG equipment and would be happy to show you the basics - I'm no expert but Ive had some practice....
    I'm in Cuddington, near the Blakemere Centre on the A556.

Quote Originally Posted by dinosoar View Post
    Aldi just had auto dark helmets on special
    Cheers. Still on offer in black or red so I ordered one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast