Thread: Carpet choice

Carpet choice

Hi
    Looking for a suitable carpet for my cobra. I've been advised to go for a sythetic carpet as wool carpet in open topped car when wet can ruin and start to smell.
    What's eveyone's thoughts on this and what type of carpets have you got?

Thanks

Pete
    Follow my progress here http://petesakcobra.blogspot.com

I had a nice BRG 80:20 wool mix in my old Sumo (pics in my gallery). It felt lovely to the touch.
    After one summer and a couple of thousand miles the sun had started to bleach the transmission tunnel area!

I made about 1/2 the carpet removable for drying out the inevitable downpour - they survived well enough. But none of it was stuck down anywhere so i could get air under all of it to dry it out when needed.

My view is that after a bit of use, they will loose the enw car look and start to look a bit worn in the footwell area regardless of what you have. The synthetic ought to be more durable - thats what i have in the Crendon - it looks fine, but not road tested yet.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

I believe Dave Brooks uses Superwool from Martrim in his Cobra builds...https://www.martrim.co.uk/car-trimmi...ool-carpet.php

Russ.
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    1984 DAX Cobra
    Rover 3.5 V8 with Holley carburetor.

I believe all propper car carpet has an anti-mould treatement. As all car carpets will get wet in normal use if it's raining. Granted not as wet as an open top car.