Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    It looks like my propshaft modification. I used "Hex Socket Extra Low Head Cap Screw" for adpter flange.

cheers
    Andrzej

Andrzej,

Hello again, how is your project coming along (the fibre glass replica not the cardboard one!)?

Yes that is exactly what I am after. Did you fabricate the adapter plate or have it made?

Best regards,
    Ian

PS and best wishes to all in Polska for the coming festive season
    Pilgrim Sumo Mk3; IVA Apr. 2014; RV8 3.9 EFi ; Cosworth T5; Granada Donor
    Phase Two underway - Conversion to Japanese

My cobra is still in build. Working with no rush, because 5 years ago our gov took UE regulations and made registration of amateur build vechicle impossible.
    The adapter was made on lathe by my friend.
    The cardboard project was upgraded to plywood (inspired by toylander) and got electric running gear. And also unfinished - inpatient kids

thanks for wishes
    Cheers
    Andrzej

Andrzej,

It would seem that there is more than one reason to be unhappy with the European Union at the moment. We are indeed fortunate to still have the option to register an amateur build vehicle in the UK.. What are your options to get your car on the road?

The Jeep looks excellent and is obviously great fun, I would bet that you will struggle to get it back to finish. Noticed on the video that you have not finished you hard top either - made me feel a bit better!

Could you send me some details on the adapter plate, I am currently drawing up my requirements and it would be useful to check with a finished item. Particularly interested in the material and thickness, let me know if you need my email address to send details.

Best regards,
    Ian

Some progress with the propshaft, Bailey Morris were only interested in making a new propshaft rather than the adapter plate that I needed. There was also the added cost of sending the propshaft down which prompted me to search again for local engineering firms who could machine the adapter plate. I was given the name Major & Aspinall (which sounded both impressive & expensive) and the recommendation to give them a try from a guy I had met at a local car show (he is currently planning to fit the gas turbine from a helicopter into a Mk4 Cortina for the drag strip - and why wouldn't you!!). Armed with the propshaft and my drawings I paid a visit to M&A in Durham and was relieved when the appearance of the industrial unit looked neither impressive nor expensive. What lay within however was very impressive and reassuring - a real old fashioned mechanical engineering workshop with several propshafts on the counter, loads of spares on shelves and friendly and knowledgeable help available. After a long discussion about the merits and problems with centre bearings and then the limiting factors for the power handling ability of a propshaft I was happy to leave my propshaft with them for the conversion and machining of the adapter plate.

With the height that the gearbox needed to be, to obtain the best angle for the propshaft, known I worked out how to support the rear of the GS6-53DZ gearbox in the chassis. When searching for a gearbox on line I had seen a number with the rear support (from the E60) still attached but they looked to intricate and large to be easily adapted so I went for one without. The main fixings at the rear are 4 x M10 tapped holes and these formed the starting point for my rear mounting. The holes were measured and transferred to a drawing to make a card template - not easy until I realised that the holes were not symmetrical (somehow, being German, I had assumed they would be!). With the aid of the template I got the holes lined up, transferred the outline to 3mm steel sheet and cut out the vertical plate.

I then needed to link the plate, when bolted to the gearbox, to the chassis cross member of the Sumo. This had already been adapted, from the standard form, when I changed from the LT77 to the T5 gearbox and now would need to change again. The new gearbox, probably due to being a six speed unit, was longer than both the LT77 and the T5 and there was limited room behind the gearbox to fit the support bobbins onto the cross member. Initially this forced me to locate the bobbins vertically outside of the gearbox mounting bolts which was not ideal. I managed to gain an extra 15mm by moving the cross member one hole further back on the chassis rails and this allowed the bobbins to sit in front of the bolts and be mounted at 30° to the horizontal which gave a more positive location for the gearbox.

A further complication arose as the gearbox is also deeper than either the LT77 or T5 and fouled the front of the chassis cross member. This was solved by cutting out a section at the front of the cross member and welding in some sections that allowed the profile to be lowered. Fabrication of the gearbox mounting is now well underway and it is time to remove the Sumo body which will give access for the fabrication of the engine mounts and the headers - looks like being a busy Christmas!!!

Regards,
    Ian

01 Final design for the rear mounting for the gearbox, the initial plan had the rubber bobbins vertical and outside the gearbox mounting bolts

02 The M10 mounting holes for the gearbox

03 Using the card template to find the hole centres

04 Using the template the outline of the gearbox mounting plate was transferred to 3mm sheet steel

05 The chassis cross member had to be "adapted" to clear the gearbox which is much bigger than either the LT77 or the T5, the front middle section was cut out to allow measurements to be made for the creation of new sections that lowered the profile to clear the gearbox.
    Attached Images Attached Images

A few more pictures for post #115

06 Card templates made to check the dimensions of the new sections to be added to the chassis cross member

07 The outlines were then marked up on the 3mm sheet steel and cut out, I spent some time getting the new sections to fit the cut outs to make the welding easier

08 When a good fit was achieved the new sections were tack welded in place, I clamped the chassis member to the work bench to try and prevent warping of the assembly during the welding

09 With the new sections tack welded the cross member was refitted to the chassis for a final check of the clearances, it was then removed and welded up - again I clamped the unit to the work bench to try and minimise any warping

10 The assembly was the tidied up - my welds need a lot of that!!! - sanded down, cleaned then primed. It was refitted to hold the gearbox in place while I started removing the body for the next stage.

Impressive work on that mount, reminds me of the work I did last year adapting my GD to an R380 from an LT77. I used careful measurement (GD chassis is impressive for how close it wraps around the mechanical parts but means alteration is not easy) followed by a Cornflake packet (or was it Poridge oats?) prototype which I then transfered into CAD and a good friend of mone then cut it out on a water jet machine. Made it from 4mm MS plate and cut the pieces with interlocking tabs so even before it was welded it held itself together pretty well. A nice modern process but I appreciate your "hand-made" example just as much.

Interesting thread this BTW, really loving reading it. That is a nice looking engine. I love the way the Japanese make stuff. Several strip downs on Hondas gave me a good appreciation.

Happy New Year!!!!!

Having survived the festive season more or less unscathed I happily returned to the garage to continue "the project". The work on the gearbox mounting was temporarily shelved while I got on with the task of removing the Sumo body from the chassis. This is the second time I have removed the body, the first time was when I swapped the original LT77 for the Cosworth T5, and every time it comes as a surprise how much there is to undo, remove, disconnect etc etc - and every time there is at least one thing I have missed (as you ask, this time it was the windscreen washer tubing!!). With everything (well nearly everything) disconnected I summoned my children & relatives to help lift the body off the chassis before they all disappeared back to work.

With the body out of the way I can now complete the gearbox mount and start to fabricate the engine mounts and the headers. The latter have caused a slight conundrum! I was planning to fabricate the headers for the 1UZ in 1.75" tubing, the headers I made for the RV8 were fabricated in 1.5" tubing and when I tried them they are very close to fitting the new engine. By using the flange from the stock Lexus manifold with the initial section of the exhaust tube, cut from the Lexus log manifold, welded to the RV8 headers the job would be much quicker & simpler. It would just require a short length of 1.5" tube to join the RV8 header to the Lexus exhaust tube. The question is would I regret not having gone to 1.75" headers and what improvement might have been gained by doing so?.

Any thought would be welcome!

Regards,
    Ian

PS I quite like the look of the hardtop on the chassis, gives the appearance of a real hot rod - I might not put the body back on and run it like that!!!

01 Preparing to remove the body, I always forget how much there is to remove before lifting the body off!!

02 Temporary engine mount, the permanent engine mounts will be fabricate to fit the current engine position which is the best compromise to give the required alignment of the drive train

03 DIY Header Kit or a quick way to disappointment!? Whether to re-use the 1.5" tubular headers or refabricate in 1.75" tube?

04 Quite like the stripped down go-kart look

05 Only problem is I don't think I would be able to get in!!!

I've seen chopped rods with lower rooflines, you just need to get yourself on a course on how to get in and out.. this should do : https://www.polefitandflexy.co.uk/flexibility-lessons/

Some friends and I once forgot to disconnect the gear linkage (tubular steel) on a Renault 5. We were young and dumb so guess who crawled under the car with the car dangling off the engine and the engine dangling off the crane, in order to disconnect it?
    Also forgot to disconnect wiring on an MR2 Roadster where the body comes off the engine .. it's amazing how strong wire can be!
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Aaron,

Nice to know I am not alone with the oversight. Interesting link, if I had that level of flexibility it would not be chopped cars I would be trying to get into - I think forward visibility might be an issue too!

Ian

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast