Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
    The mounting was removed and the two plates were tack welded in position. The small bracing pieces were then cut then fitted and tack welded between the two plates to increase the rigidity of the mounting. The whole mounting was then refitted to the chassis and checked to see nothing had moved. It was then removed, disassembled and welded up before being refitted to check. This time safe in the knowledge that it should hold the weight of the gearbox I again removed the jack and checked the position of the gearbox and was relieved to find it at the height & angle I had been aiming for. So next it is back to the engine mounts, to weld them up, and then it will be time for the headers!!!!

Regards,
    Ian

01 Plates now tack welded

02 Adding the braces to increase structural rigidity

03 All the braces now added and tack welded in position

04 Mounting bracket refitted for final checks before being welded up

05 The wedled mounting refitted, with the gearbox weight applied the height & angle of the gearbox were checked and found to be as planned.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pilgrim Sumo Mk3; IVA Apr. 2014; RV8 3.9 EFi ; Cosworth T5; Granada Donor
    Phase Two underway - Conversion to Japanese

I had been getting tired of the seeming endless round of cutting, grinding and filing that had been required to fabricate the engine mount. So the switch to the gearbox mounting and the lift given by its completion was very welcome and I returned to the engine mount refreshed.

The first job was to tack weld the lower plate and tube, which had already been tacked together before the welding gas ran out, to the top plate which was bolted to the engine. The two pieces were positioned and the trolley jack holding the engine was lowered to ensure that the tube was tight to the engine plate. I then tack welded the tube in position. To get the mounting back out required the engine to be lifted but this was soon done and I started to cut small fillets from the 3 mm sheet steel to form the braces to spread the load from the tube to the mounting holes in the plates. I think I may have gone OTT with the number of the braces but I would rather be safe than sorry where strength matters - sort of a reverse Colin Chapman approach. This issue wasn't helped by a recurring problem with my welding helmet. It is an auto darkening model and the problem comes when the weld is struck and it darkens. It goes so dark I tend to lose sight of the track of the weld which leads to either the weld taking several attempts or I use a series of tack welds rather than the optimum flowing continuous weld. I went back to my old fashioned helmet which was great during the weld but getting started was a real pain - this is all really to excuse the awful state of the welds, just glad that they will be out of sight.

So trying to overcome the disappointment of the welds I fitted the engine mount in position, bolted it all up and then lowered the engine onto its new mount. Once again I was relieved to see the engine settle 1 mm lower than the planned height. As with the gearbox mount I have used spacers so the final height can easily be adjusted when everything is together. The next task is to make another one for the offside!!!! - such is the joy of kit cars!

Regards,
    Ian

01 Tack welding the mount in position on the engine

02 The strengthening ribs were individually cut and welded in position - the reasoning was to direct the load towards the mounting holes and to stiffen the plates.

03 Although the top of the rubber bobbins is a flat steel surface I fitted ribs across the lower plate as well

04 The welded engine mount was bolted back onto the engine - I was relieved that the distortion caused by the welding was minimal and it still fitted

05 One down, one to go!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have just read the thread from start to finish, great work and keep it up!

Looks like you are enjoying the project. Likewise I am enjoying my abandoned Classic Replica build!

Quote Originally Posted by KugaWestie View Post
    . . . Looks like you are enjoying the project . . . . .

There are definitely moments of enjoyment but there are also those dark lonely times when you wonder why on earth you started this! Fortunately the former still outnumber the latter but it is a close call sometimes. I have also being following your epic journey, it must be very satisfying for you to bring something back to life. I started with a perfectly serviceable and functioning kit car and am spending considerable time, effort and expense to make it a slightly better (hopefully!) kit car - my wife keeps saying "But I thought it was finished!?".

So keep going & keep posting, we both need inspiration in those dark moments.

Take care,

Ian

Another great post in my other favourite thread. May your ups always outnumber your downs.

You know what they say, Ian - a grinder and paint, makes me the welder I ain't!

If you have an old or cheap helmet, check out the range at R-Tech: https://www.r-techwelding.co.uk/weld...ets-and-masks/

The Speedmaster II is leaps and bounds better than my last (Lidl/Aldi) mask, and knowing what I know now I'd pay the extra for the XL mask for even better view.
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Aaron,

Many thanks for your reply. I had seen those helmets before - I think you may have referred to them on a different thread? Certainly sound a big improvement on what I have, particularly the variable darkness settings.

I have a birthday coming up so think a few carefully hints plus me stumbling around when I come in from the garage claiming "welding flash blindness" should produce results.

Take care,
    Ian

Hi Ian,

This is truly a great thread however in hind sight maybe bolting a super charger to the old Rover might have been a tad easier?

cheers
    Kiel and Duncan (dad and the lad errr young man now)

AHP Crendon Chassis No 1
    Ford FE 434, dual quad, Toploader total old school all the way
    https://www.crendonreplicas.com/
    http://www.absolutehorsepower.co.uk/

Had to laugh at your post which mentions your wife saying "I thought it was finished", I could have written the whole post, I started with a perfectly usable if slightly downmarket car I now have a car which I'm struggling to get back on the road for summer!, I took out the v6 to swap for a v8, but then I thought whilst it's out I'll tidy up and line the engine bay... then maybe I'll redo the brake lines and fit a different servo ..then re-route and redo the front electrics.....then put in a new radiator....of course I need new manifolds and exhaust...and relocate a new expansion tank, washer bottle , coil etc etc oh and if the gearlever doesn't fit in the original hole in the tunnel that will mean a partial retrim of the interior,. Hopefully the finished article will be worth it but at times I think why did I bother?, but no stress, it's only a hobby... isn't it????????
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by kitcarsareus View Post
    Hi Ian,

This is truly a great thread however in hind sight maybe bolting a super charger to the old Rover might have been a tad easier?

Kiel (I am guessing it is Kiel & not Duncan as it is a mature question!?),

Thank you for your kind words. I loved the Rover V8, and thoroughly enjoyed rebuilding it, but I was always aware of its limitations. It is a 60 year old design and has its weaknesses particularly in the valve train and bottom end (mine was the old two bolt bottom end) and although I had spent money on crankshaft, pistons and cam shaft I had not had the budget to upgrade the valve train or the main bearings. This was always at the back of my mind when on track days and giving the car some stick. I did not want to over stress the engine and decided at that point to go for something that could take a little bit of abuse. The option to upgrade the Rover engine was definitely consider but on balance it seemed to be the right decision to go for a sturdier engine and, as soon as I had taken the valve covers & sump off the Lexus engine, I knew I had made the right choice!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rpm015 View Post
    Had to laugh at your post which mentions your wife saying "I thought it was finished", I could have written the whole post, I started with a perfectly usable if slightly downmarket car I now have a car which I'm struggling to get back on the road for summer!, I took out the v6 to swap for a v8, but then I thought whilst it's out I'll tidy up and line the engine bay... then maybe I'll redo the brake lines and fit a different servo ..then re-route and redo the front electrics.....then put in a new radiator....of course I need new manifolds and exhaust...and relocate a new expansion tank, washer bottle , coil etc etc oh and if the gearlever doesn't fit in the original hole in the tunnel that will mean a partial retrim of the interior,. Hopefully the finished article will be worth it but at times I think why did I bother?, but no stress, it's only a hobby... isn't it????????
    Roger

Roger,

That made me smile (I would have laughed but it is getting late), I know exactly what you mean - everything has a cost!! It is always the unforeseen consequences of our planned actions that catch us out. It is a wise man who knows when to stop, but when did a wide man have any fun!!! I am sure that your finished car will be worth it, keep on believing!!!

Regards,
    Ian
    Last edited by Ian C; Today at 12:40 AM. Reason: Typo - it's getting even later

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast