Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Throttle Position Sensor now sourced, thanks for the suggestions (managed to do it via a proxy without entering the murky world of Social Media!).

The work to access all the sensor and the related wiring has progressed but required the disassembly of the engine, well most of it anyway. Overall I am still hugely impressed by the quality of the engineering in the engine, everything looks to be have been designed for a purpose. Little things like the plastic trunking for the major wiring looms are sculpted to fit the contours of the engine and bolted in place. The only issue was with the removal of the clips that hold the lid to the body of the trunking. The majority snapped even though care was taken to depress the locking latch, given the age of the engine and heat cycles it must have been through perhaps this is to be expected. We had the same problem with a few of the connectors deeper in the engine. Getting my son to disconnect the connectors seemed like a good idea when there was a comforting "click" as he depressed the catch and removed the plug from the socket. It did not seem so good when we realised that the "click" was the pivot of the catch snapping!!

The throttle body, air intake chamber & cylinder head covers were removed. My first look at the OHCs on the right hand (even) cylinder bank was reassuring. There was a glow of clean oil and everything looked in good order and almost pristine. The left hand (odd) bank was a bit different, the initial appearance was one that made me think it had been overheating. In place of the golden sheen, visible on the even bank, the camshafts were brown in colour. There were no obvious signs of any hot spots or problems but the overall impression was in marked contrast to the even bank, this can be most clearly seen in the picture of the two cylinder head covers. After some thought we wondered whether the engine had been stored on its side, after removal from the donor, with the lower side being covered in the remaining oil. Any thoughts on the possible reason for this difference would be gratefully received.

The HT wiring and coils were removed followed by the fuel rail and injectors. The removal of the intake manifold revealed a rubbish tip that was in marked contrast to the cylinder heads. It could have held a family of mice, although there was no sign of teeth marks on any of the wiring and no signs of damage. We removed handfuls of rubbish, mainly dust and small pieces of paper & card, to reveal the starter motor, water pipe & wiring loom in the valley. The starter motor was removed with difficulty as it was an extremely "snug" fit in the block.

Simon,
    The starter motor has threaded holes in the mounting flange which makes it impossible to fit the bolts from the motor side unless the threads are drilled out and captive nuts are used on the gearbox side of the block. How did you do yours, was it a different starter motor?

Regards,
    Ian

Cylinder head covers showing the different colouration between the two sides???

Right hand (even) bank cam shafts

Left hand (odd) bank camshafts

Rubbish tip or nest of mice??

After removal of rubbish

Attached Images Attached Images
    Pilgrim Sumo Mk3; IVA Apr. 2014; RV8 3.9 EFi ; Cosworth T5; Granada Donor
    Phase Two underway - Conversion to Japanese

Hi Ian,

I took my engine out of my Soarer that I owned so the engine was not laying on its side and my engine had the same difference in colour on the same sides as yours. I also couldn't find any hot spots or wear that would cause concern, this allied with the fact that the engine was running as sweet as in the Soarer so decided not to worry too much bout it. It seems having now seen yours that I was right not to worry.......can't think what might have caused it! Maybe Tony D will be able to answer this when he has finished sunning himself abroad

Cheers.

Paul.
    Best anti speeding device - a rear view mirror with a police car in it.
    A pedestrian - someone who thought there was still a couple of gallons in the tank.
    AK Chassis and body collected 12.12.14

Hi Ian,

Looks like you've picked a good one.......looks barely run in.

Any particular reason for the change?

cheers
    Kiel and Duncan (dad and the lad errr young man now)

AHP Crendon Chassis No 1
    Ford FE 434, dual quad, Toploader total old school all the way
    https://www.crendonreplicas.com/
    http://www.absolutehorsepower.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by kitcarsareus View Post
    Hi Ian,

Any particular reason for the change?

cheers

I can answer on Ians behalf......

“He's retired”

Hahahaha

Will pop over soon mate and take a good look. Been weeks since i looked in my garage also!!

Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    . . I took my engine out of my Soarer that I owned so the engine was not laying on its side and my engine had the same difference in colour on the same sides as yours. .
    Paul,

Thank you for the response - that is very reassuring. I have been inventing all sorts of weird scenarios to try an explain the difference, I shall now just accept it as an interesting fact and move on!

Quote Originally Posted by kitcarsareus View Post
    . . Looks like you've picked a good one.......looks barely run in. Any particular reason for the change? . . .
    Kiel,

No picking involved, blind luck! The reason is the age old one - more power. The cost and effort to get more power from the Rover was beyond my limited resources and I was eager to take on another engine challenge having enjoyed the build of the Rover so much.

On with the 1UZ strip down:

So with the top end stripped, as far I was going at this stage, the engine was flipped over and work started on the other end. The dual sump was a surprise, yet another example of innovative design. The second sump appears to serve as further strengthening of the block and I could not help but compare it to the Rover where the weakness in the main bearing, prior to the 4 bolt blocks, was one of the main power limitations. The view once both sumps were removed was a joy, the strength of the bottom end of this engine that I had heard so much about did not disappoint. Although I had been told that it was an early engine seeing the fat "I" section con rods was a big reassurance. Again the engine looks to be in really good condition, immensely heartening and gives me the motivation to press on with the challenge.

Regards and thanks to all.

Ian

View of the double sump set up of the 1UZ-FE engine (as configured for a Toyota Soarer)

1st Sump removed, oil seems clean and very little (actually no) debris on the magnetic drain plug

Initial view of the bottom end was reassuring!

The strength of the engine is obvious - note the 6 bolt main bearings!!

Close up of the lovely fat con rods!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tommy-boy View Post
    I can answer on Ians behalf......

“He's retired”

Hahahaha

Will pop over soon mate and take a good look. Been weeks since i looked in my garage also!!

Tommy

Tommy,

Very true, I wished I had started this kit car business 50 years ago - I might have got the hang of it by now!

Are you still on the road? I might organise an end of season Garage meet, although some stalwarts (you know who you are Geoff) don't recognise seasons and stay on the road all year round.

Take care
    Ian

Hi Ian,

How far are you planning going with this strip down? I got to the stage you have now reached and could still see the honing marks in the cylinders below the pistons with no scratch marks so decided all the hype I had read and heard about these engines was correct and closed it all back up again. I did have the advantage of hearing the engine run before taking it out of my soarer and it had only covered 78k miles until then.

all the best with the swap.

Paul.
    A pedestrian - someone who thought there was still a couple of gallons in the tank.

Paul,

I bought the engine without any of the engine management, the loom had been cut (well hacked to pieces is a more apt description) and the VAFM was missing. The intention was always to fit an after market engine management system to allow for further development (playing!) but I am now wondering whether it would have been better (easier) to get the engine installed and running with the standard management system. I am sure this would have had its own set of problems and changing over later may have presented just as many issues - but at least I would have known I had a running engine!

The reason for the mechanical strip down, at this stage, is primarily to get access to all the wiring and sensors in preparation for selecting and connecting the after market EMS. As you have said all the advice to date has been to disturb the engine as little as possible as it "SHOULD" be good to go. I think it makes sense to change the cam belt and I was thinking of at least checking the water pump if not changing it - what would your advice be on that?

There are moments when I stand back and look at the mess it is in at the moment and wonder if I have taken on too much but the sheer joy of looking at the crank and the con rods or the camshaft mechanicals restores my enthusiasm - I can't help but contrast it to the Rover V8, that I stripped and rebuilt, and the 1UZ makes it look like a toy! Before any RV8 disciples get annoyed I am not denigrating this venerable engine but it is a product of its age and American ancestry where as the Lexus engine was advanced for its day and is nearly 30 years younger than the RV8.

Are you running your engine with the stock EMS?

Regards,
    Ian

Hi Ian,

There are plenty of after market looms and ecu's for this engine on line form various outlets which having spent ages repairing brittle clips, and cracked wiring now seems like it should be the road to go down if you don't have the original ecu and complete loom.

I would definitely change the water pump and cam belt as a matter of course and change all of the oil seals which with the engine out should go without saying!

Here is a couple pictures of mine after I had spent quite a bit of time wire brushing and then painting with high temp paint.

It didnt look much cleaner than yours when I started

Paul,

Oh I do wish you had not attached those pictures!!! I was planning to clean and give a quick polish to the head covers and possibly the inlet chamber but I might now have to rethink. I polished the rocker covers and inlet plenum on the Rover and it looked good when finished but did not last, the aluminium soon lost its sheen and became dull.

I have now managed to get a few connectors apart without breaking the locking tabs and ideally I would like to reuse as much of the original wiring as possible, this is not so much for budget reasons but for the satisfaction of giving a new lease of life to old parts.

I will be replacing the gaskets etc during reassembly which oil seals were you referring to?

Regards,
    Ian

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast