Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I don't think the clutch can disengage as it's not really engaged if you see what I mean. Again thanks for your time and input as it has been a head scratcher but as you state if you go through the system it's not rocket science, I thought if you restrict a brake hose then it gives you a solid pedal but we have fluid coming through when the bleed is open so happy that the slave is working and fluid is flowing it's got to be the CRB!

cheers Mark
    mark chambers
    Dax de Dion 350 Chevy

Quote Originally Posted by mark chambers View Post
    Yes it was put in retracted and when we started the first bleed I was convinced that I had the fluid lines into the master cylinder the wrong way around as that's what I found on the internet so I changed them around which wasn't a massive job but a pain, so we then went to bleed and got no fluid so changed them back so I now have the feed from reservoir to the rear port and the line to the bearing from the front port this is a girling type of cylinder and that's looking at it from the front of the car. We got lots of air out and the pedal seemed to get there but then go, after which time we stopped it was then when the bleed nipple was shut the pedal went solid. I have an endoscope which I looked in the box and could see all of the spacers and that really says the bearing had pumped out, after removing it there were tiny little marks where the fingers had touched but as you state I don't think it's extending enough to use the fingers to string return if that's how it works? So were now going to start again by just removing the gearbox leaving the bellhousing so that I can get the measurements all again then I'm going to send them to McLeod and we should then get the correct piston, as they have a YouTube vid that says if you measure and send that prior to order they will supply the correct piston already fitted. Oh how wonderful hindsight is! I'm in agreement with your comment it's not returning as the diaphragm spring fingers aren't compressed enough to return it?
    But if the bearing is only just touching the fingers at full extend then it must be too far away when retracted so you need a bigger spacer behind the bearing.
    could you upload a drawing of your measurements, that may make more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by mark chambers View Post
    I don't think the clutch can disengage as it's not really engaged if you see what I mean. Again thanks for your time and input as it has been a head scratcher but as you state if you go through the system it's not rocket science, I thought if you restrict a brake hose then it gives you a solid pedal but we have fluid coming through when the bleed is open so happy that the slave is working and fluid is flowing it's got to be the CRB!

cheers Mark
    Well what I was talking about is if the was some sort on non return valve so you can pump fluid from the reservoir but not let it back. That would allow the bearing to extend but not retract and then go when it hits the end of its stroke of presses up against something solid.

In terms of the clutch engagement, what I was asking is if the clutch disengages the drive to the gearbox which would mean the your bearing has extended and operated the clutch but is not returning - drive remains disconnected.

Update!
    I have the correct bearing as my measurement from clutch fingers to bellhousing is less than 3" (63.55mm/2.502") so that is the 'A' measurement so the bolt on bearing is the right 1. The 'B' measurement is gearbox face to retracted bearing face and is 59mm/2.323". It's now that McLeod say take 'B' from 'A' and I got 4.55mm /0.179" they state that you need a minimum 0.100" and a maximum of 0.250", so I figure that I'm bang in the middle. Anyway with confidence we refitted it and started to bleed and all was looking good, but guess what tighten bleed nipple and we have a solid pedal, damn! I have just sent the above to McLeod and can't wait to hear what I'm doing wrong?? I'll share as soon as I know thanks.
    mark chambers
    Dax de Dion 350 Chevy

Three thoughts:

1. Is your master cylinder like this one (and connected as they say)?

gmc_10_r_2.jpg

2. Is the clutch working but much heavier than you are expecting

3. Are the clutch friction and pressure plates assembled correctly?
    Cheers

Myles D-W

Hi Myles,
    It is that cylinder but the 0.875 bore which is 7/8" and it is fitted as described, and working as good fluid flow whilst bleeding. As far as clutch engagement this is the problem, as mentioned in an earlier post we're making contact to the diaphragm fingers but not enough to operate I believe?
    The clutch is correct as the disc won't really fit with the springs on the flywheel side, so McLeod have asked me for cylinder size and also to do a calculation to get the pedal ratio? Thanks for you interest/help.
    Mark
    mark chambers
    Dax de Dion 350 Chevy

I picture (drawing/diagram) would paint a thousand words here.

Right the latest from McLeod is to fit a 3/4 cylinder and mount approx 1.75" below the pedal pivot point? So how am I going to do that? I'm going to speak to Dax to see if I've got this totally wrong and see from there as I can't see an easy way to changing the pedal box arrangement?
    mark chambers
    Dax de Dion 350 Chevy

Making my engine out three times seem a doddle!! These center bellows offer no advantage and can be a bugger to set up, I would never have one again! It's been a sorry read to see someone else suffer the same fate. Keep at it mate.
    Cheers Clive

Hi Clive, what did you end up with? Not sure if you have seen my post on Dax tech but what size cylinder is common?
    Mark
    mark chambers
    Dax de Dion 350 Chevy

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast