Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Just fitted some double red leds with clear lenses on the rear light/ brake bulb. Significantly brighter.
    Planning on doing same for indicators but need to do some homework on a relay that’ll work with LEDs.

Lots of conflicting info' on the web, ranging from

just swap them for LED it will be fine.
    You need new relays.
    you need ballast resistors.
    You need resistors and new relays.
    They're illegal. Only allowed on mass volume vehicles! (Don't get that one at all)?

So, plenty of research still to be done. I would have thought as we are building to our own spec's and the wiring is made to measure, so to speak, it shouldn't be too difficult to do.

I'm sure I've said that before somewhere.

Graham.
    AK gen 1 delivered 05/05/17, on the road shortly!

An "old style" flasher relay won't work with LEDs (IIRC) as it is basically a bimetallic strip that heats up due to the current drawn by the incandescent lamps; heats up, breaks circuit, cools down, makes circuit - repeat. LEDs draw too little current and so it gets stuck 'on' and doesn't flash.

I think they've mostly died out (unless anyone is using a Lucas flasher module), but modern electronic relays often have 'blown bulb' detection that requires a certain load to be present - these won't work because the LEDs draw little enough current that they appear 'blown' and so it flashes really fast.

LED flasher relays are available, e.g. the red ones, here: https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product_list/35 - just pick the one that matches your wiring diagram (whether P goes to a warning lamp or earth) and jobs a goodun.

If your LED modules include a ballast resistor then you won't need a new relay; the resistor is 'pretending' to be an incandescent bulb so that a non-LED relay works as normal (flashes in the first case, doesn't flash fast in the second case)

IMHO, E&OE, YMMV etc.
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Having just fitted a set of rear LED 'coffin's' I can confirm what Aaron has said.
    Its an easy relay swap, but you just need to check the pin outs on your existing system match the proposed LED relay - there are at least a couple of variants out there.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

What Aaron said.....
    The issue is generally with the flasher relay on the indicators.
    The brake and rear lights have a much more simple circuit and generally use less sophisticated relays so tend to work out of the box with just swapping the bulbs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12