Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Clear rear lenses

Hardly technical but pondering changing bulbs to LEDs and then thought about swapping the rear coloured lenses and using coloured LEDs. Has anyone used the same clear lenses and LEDs and can provide an alternative rear view?

Thanks

Current view:

Attached Images Attached Images

It should work. But will it look right? Modern light set up on a period car. I would settle for plain led’s under your existing lenses.
    Dek

Personal choice - mine's really a 2010 plastic car with fuel injection and SBC so hardly period or a replica

I would like to see what it looks like before I change to see if I personally prefer it.

Yes I know what you mean and I’m not really a purist but you can’t see it’s plastic and you can’t see the fuel injection but you will see the white lenses. But it’s your car and you have to be happy with it. That’s what’s nice about replicas, there are so many different takes around a common theme.
    Dek

Thanks - I agree and not convinced unless I see one already done. Got me thinking as the front are already clear.

this is mine, I think it might depend on the colour of the car whether it works or not, and even then is a personal choice

pic taken immediately after painting/IVA, I have since tidied up the reverse/fog/reflectors and put them below the bumper instead of sticking up on swan necks.

The LED bulbs I used (can't remember or find part number/link right at this moment) were quite big and I had to use beehive lenses instead of flat ones

Dave A

Suggest to swap out for clear lenses then replace the bulbs for silver bulbs (which have colour when lit) as to move to leds would also require you to swap out the relay as well.
    Did this on mine and it’s a much easier change and that meets the objectives
    James

Quote Originally Posted by JamesP View Post
    Suggest to swap out for clear lenses then replace the bulbs for silver bulbs (which have colour when lit) as to move to leds would also require you to swap out the relay as well.
    Did this on mine and it’s a much easier change and that meets the objectives
    James
    Thanks - clear lenses and chrome bulbs ordered for the indicators. Will swap over and make a decision!

Wow - how quickly a year goes .

Finally got round to trying these this morning.

Indicators.JPG

The clear lenses were ever so slightly smaller than the amber so had to fit a bit of neoprene strip behind them to stop them being loose.

Going to do the other one now as prefer the clear (and matches the front) but will leave the photo of them both above so you can all make your own mind up!

Hi,

looking at doing something similar on my AK but clear lenses all round. Are there any obvious problems either legal or electrical that you know of in doing this. I am thinking of possibly going LED all round but I'm still a way off doing this just yet. Idea being yellow LED for indicators (back and front) and double red LED for brake/rear sides. Haven't done too much homework on this yet just testing the water.

Thanks, Graham.
    AK gen 1 delivered 05/05/17, on the road shortly!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast