Electric Power Steering Pump Pressure

Hi there

I'm mid build and like some others on here I'm using a Renault electric PAS pump in combination with a hydraulic BMW rack. I seem to recall reading that someone had trouble with their electric pump blowing the seals on their rack due to a mismatch in pressure ratings.

Has anyone fitted any sort of pressure (or flow) reduction/regulation device to their steering system? (or is anyone running the same combination as me without issue?)

Cheers, Simon

That was me who had the problem with the seals. Never heard of anyone else with a similar issue but have to say I bought an old pump from a Peugeot 205 which was so much lighter and takes up so much less room compared to the electric pump. I just designed a bracket to hold the pump which would also hold a tensioner pulley from the same car. Works a treat and never let me down.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Thanks for the info - good to know of another option. I've got the lexus engine so there is a steering pump which could be relocated if needed, but I'm trying to keep the a/c so not a lot of room for a pulley driven pump.

Just a follow up on this:

I noticed on the BMW steering rack parts diagram that when fitted in the E46 it had a check valve inside the rack side pressure line banjo bolt, BMW part number 32416781261 (fitted instead of a regular banjo bolt). I've therefore bought one of these (from BMW online) in the hope that it controls the pressure as check valves sometimes do. When I'm on the road and have put some miles down I'll report back on whether this worked...

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=32_0958

I used a Rover 25 engine driven pas pump in a home made bracket in the space that the AC compressor used to sit in our two AK Lexi's. Pirtex made up the hoses to the BMW rack and it worked a treat. Had the get the inside of the Lexus PS pump pulley reamed out 3 or 4 millimetres ( as Rover was V belt) and new holes drilled for mounting bolts but apart from that it was easy. I believe others ( Alunwill for one) have used SAAB and other small engine driven pumps similarly,

Cheers,

Tony
    Supply by blagging, engineering by bodge......

The Peugeot one I fitted comes with the ribbed wheel and resovoir included so no mods required.

as Tony mentioned, I fitted a saab pump. It's based on the standard ford pump. A nice little unit. Initially I was a little concerned about the line pressure because I noticed it appeared to be labouring when on full lock. I checked with the rack supplyer who indicated they're tested to 1500 psi. I know the pump has a restrictors in line but couldn't fined what thesaab system was rated at. I bought all the kit to do some pressure tests but just not got around to doing it yet. Maybe next year!