Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Driving abroad

Driving abroad

Just a word of warning.....

Over the years I have spent a lot of time driving around France, Italy and Spain.
    Both in the Crendon and in tin tops.
    Although I don't get too abusive of the speed limits I have on a number of occasions seen the camera go off.
    Never had a ticket catch up with me in the UK.......until now.
    I have a €45 ticket for 77kph in a 70kph while I was in Italy in April this year.
    They have sent it to my home address here. It wasn't a hire car, it was my Range Rover.
    I'm not sure about the time frame involved and if that might make it invalid but it's here and I will need to do something about it rather than ignore it which is what the advice will be for sure.
    My guess is that they have my details due to the fact that we owned a house there for over ten years but maybe it's a new inter-country agreement?

Just thought you guys would want the heads up that things may have changed........
    2003 Dave Brookes Dax 350ci Chevy SB.
    2008 Crendon 462ci Ford Sideoiler FE Chassis No.43
    2012 Crendon 351ci Ford Cleveland Chassis No.24
    2014 Crendon 452ci Ford FE Chassis No.66 (in progress)

Yep, it's the EU Cross-Border Enforcement Directive, which for the UK came into effect in May 2017.
    Alan

CRC Thames Valley Regional Rep
    UK Rep for European Cobra Club
    Dax Tojeiro DeDion - Huddart SBC 383

I used to get a fine through my door in UK every time I got back from Italy, not for speeding but for being on roads I shouldn't have been on.

I used to check on google street view to see if suitable signage was present, which it wasn't. I got so sick of it that I don't drive there any more.
    Kittihawk: Pilgrim Sumo MK3 built '93/'94 with 2.1L Stage 2 Pinto and Ford Type 9 5-Speed Gearbox

This might interest you regarding Florance in Italy

https://www.bella-toscana.com/traffi...m#.W8SgsSqZ3AU

Quote Originally Posted by conrod View Post
    Yep, it's the EU Cross-Border Enforcement Directive, which for the UK came into effect in May 2017.
    Wonder what would happen if you ignored it until after March next year Neil?

Some countries are insane with driving violations. I once got a ticket in Finland for best part of EU700. Not my happiest day!
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader/Vintage cast knock on wheels
    Dedion Dax/Clarkson 383 Chevy with roller 4/7 swap cam, AFR195 heads - SOLD

"sent out months after the infraction to tourists in their home countries are undoubtedly a source of bad feeling and even a deterrent to return visits"

This is true, except my wife adores Italy, so not going back isn't an option (e.g. Venice in May 2019)
    Kittihawk: Pilgrim Sumo MK3 built '93/'94 with 2.1L Stage 2 Pinto and Ford Type 9 5-Speed Gearbox

Quote Originally Posted by conrod View Post
    Will this mean that all the European immigrants will now start taxing and MOTing their cars?

Quote Originally Posted by cperry View Post
    Will this mean that all the European immigrants will now start taxing and MOTing their cars?

Unlikely. If the UK Border Force, controlled by the Home Office, cannot even keep checks on who is or isn't entering the country, and whether they have correct documentation, and given the disaster that was the loss of tax discs.....dont hold your breath.
    The issue is UK enforcement, pure and simple.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

If not paid then you will get caught out if you return to Italy as you go on a register.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Barnes View Post
    Wonder what would happen if you ignored it until after March next year Neil?

Some countries are insane with driving violations. I once got a ticket in Finland for best part of EU700. Not my happiest day!
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    AKCharlie - ''AKA SOOTY'' - AK GEN2 - LS3 - 6.2litre - 434bhp - A dream come true

Italian law allows for the ticket to be given within 360 days.
    I am awaiting all the others I will be getting because were driving around Italy for about three weeks.
    Actually I remember getting lost in Florence on the way into the hotel in the centre and even more lost on the way out.
    Definitely drove the wrong way up a one way street and into a pedestrian area.........tick tock.

Over the years I have had a 2 or 3 parking tickets in Italy which I have always paid.
    I like to keep a clear conscience and know that there won't be any agro if stopped by the police on a return visit.
    Don't mind paying the odd speeding ticket, at least there's no points going on my licence.
    I just think of it as an addition to the toll charges.
    2003 Dave Brookes Dax 350ci Chevy SB.
    2008 Crendon 462ci Ford Sideoiler FE Chassis No.43
    2012 Crendon 351ci Ford Cleveland Chassis No.24
    2014 Crendon 452ci Ford FE Chassis No.66 (in progress)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast