Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Windscreen wiper wiring - switches

Hi guys,

I'm trying to get my head around how to wire up the windscreen wipers so that I have two speeds and park - bearing in mind I don't have column switches and I have a generic loom that expects to be wired up as the Dark Lord* intended.

*That's Lucas, to you and me.

With the help of this link, I know what needs to be connected to what to make everything work: http://www.gomog.com/BLAIR/tech/elec...iperMotor.html

Basically:

OFF - PARK is connected to SPEED 1
    SPEED 1 - +12v is connected to SPEED 1
    SPEED 2 - +12v is connected to SPEED 2

Now, if I could use the Lucas switches (I could throw them in the exempt area, but it would look like I hurled switches at the dash!) that would probably be fine, but I'm trying to work out how to do it with "regular" toggle switches that are short enough for the little hoops, and I'm struggling to get my brain around how to achieve the necessary connections with a switch that is either "Off/On(1)/On(1+2)" or On/Off/On (as in centre pole connected to either top or nothing or bottom) and relays..

Anyone done this before and got a circuit diagram handy?

[edit] Alternatively I could give up on toggles and fit the IVA friendly rocker switches, which plug-in and go, of course. But toggles look so much nicer..

Ta!
    Aaron
    Last edited by aaronjb; 17-10-18 at 03:38 PM.
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

don't have one to hand at the moment but have a look at MGB or GT6 wiring diagram, all use the same motor, Miss Google might be your mistress

av a lookie here

http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/wiper3.htm

Tells you everything you need, well most people.

Just get it finished for next years Stonleigh

That link is basically the same info as the one I was looking at already - though with more detail on the operation of the "correct" switch.. the problem I have with the toggles is that mine don't work that way, basically. I have the choice of a toggle switch that connects nothing, terminals 1+2 or terminals 1+2+3 (which isn't any use here) or one that connects 1+2, nothing, 2+3 - which would do slow and fast, but not park, and park would be in the middle if I could figure out how to get it working

.. in hindsight, I'm thinking of just going with the incredibly ugly IVA rocker switches (https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/...-2-speed-wiper) so that it can at least be on the road and through the IVA.....
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Also you i believe you need wiper delay ie intermittant wipers with a wiper delay relay just to throw a curveball in

Cant get my delay to work though

No, you just need 2 speeds (that might get timed for number of wipes per minute) and a park facility for IVA.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Maybe use a couple of relays to make the switch connect the wires you want?
    Last edited by philbrad73; 17-10-18 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Spelling

By far the easiest solution is to buy a motor with two speed and a park acility, and use the appriirate swicth, whtehr it a rotary, toggle or 70s style flick switch.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Use the MGB or Midget 2 speed motor and the associated toggle switch, that what mine was back in the day when there was nothing else. Been working fine since 1988

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast