Jaguar S3 rear axle conversion to outboard brakes: what to do about handbrake?

I converted my S3 XJ6 axle to outboard brakes some time ago and when I did I left the handbrake as it was, operating on the inboard discs. There's nothing wrong with this and the car has been through several Mots and never been questioned however I'm now looking to tidy this up.
    I'm thinking of using a similar setup to the later XJSs which looks like the pickup points for the main handbrake cable will remain the same and this will operate the drum brake inside the outboard discs. However I'd be interested in any alternative method (don't really want to go electric) which any other users may have come across.

Obviously I'll also need some spacers to go in place of the disks, thought I had some of these but if I did I can't find them, does anyone have part numbers or dimensions?

On the conversions that I have done I turned down the old inboard discs (usually worn down anyway) into spacers and then use the normal jag shims to get the camber setting correct.

Quote Originally Posted by pete the b View Post
    On the conversions that I have done I turned down the old inboard discs (usually worn down anyway) into spacers and then use the normal jag shims to get the camber setting correct.
    Hi Pete, that's interesting, it's an option I'd thought of, good to hear it's an "acceptable" practice. What about the handbrake itself, presumably you use the outer "drums" but how do you link to the cable from the lever?

I used the old disks as well, angle grinder did the trick (but messy though).

Use the drum handbrake mechanism and flexi cables to a solid bracket on the chassis (like on a trailer) take both cables to a triangular plate and do an extendable solid rod to the handbrake. I use a rigging screw system as fitted to yachts. Its easier on a GD Jag as the handbrake is central mounted, not sure about the DAX or other side mounted ones. Bit of thinking to do on those ones.

Hi, drop me your email address in a pm and I'll send you the crc article I wrote re outboard brakes.Cheers Clive

Quote Originally Posted by clive a brown View Post
    Hi, drop me your email address in a pm and I'll send you the crc article I wrote re outboard brakes.Cheers Clive
    Thanks to Clive for supplying that, good write-up, very useful.

Sorry for the late reply - not sure if this is useful to you but if you do want some spacers I have some discs that I already had a mate turn down for me which I don't need.

I didn't use them as I ended up buying a late XJS '94-'96 post-facelift rear setup. From factory these had S3 diffs coupled to XJ40 outboard brakes, complete with a spacer in place of the inboard disc - so the discs I'd had machined into spacers are surplus. They've been cleaned up and painted with POR15.

Anyway, if you want them I can send them to you for the cost of postage. cheers, Simon

Quote Originally Posted by mrkawamackie View Post
    Sorry for the late reply - not sure if this is useful to you but if you do want some spacers I have some discs that I already had a mate turn down for me which I don't need.

I didn't use them as I ended up buying a late XJS '94-'96 post-facelift rear setup. From factory these had S3 diffs coupled to XJ40 outboard brakes, complete with a spacer in place of the inboard disc - so the discs I'd had machined into spacers are surplus. They've been cleaned up and painted with POR15.

Anyway, if you want them I can send them to you for the cost of postage. cheers, Simon
    Hi Simon,

Thanks for the reply, it's not late though still a good few weeks before I'll have all the bits together.
    I'm really interested in your offer, I'll PM to discuss details.