Thread: Wheel offset

Wheel offset

Hi. I've just bought some hallibrand wheels and the offset is wrong for the rear wheels. The tyres are 65mm back from the face of the wheel arch. I'm running on jag xj40 hubs. Can i use spacers or do i have to buy new wheels with the right offset? Thanks in advance

Could you split the wheels and just get a wider outer rim ?

Probably could but would cost me as much again as I paid for the whole set. Was hoping to use wheel spacers but dont know what thickness I can go up to and if I can double up 2 spacers?

I would avoid using spacers if possible - it's a compromise. Things can come loose, your bolts/studs will be pretty long - and the load on the hub bearings is increased. 65mm is a lot of spacing, too.
    I would either invest in wider outer rims or try to find a wider pair of wheels. Could be a waiting game though.
    DAX Cobra MK3 chassis, MK4 shell. RV8.

Hi Dave
    You did not say what size your wheels are and what size you want to achieve. However, I regularly go on ebay and buy inner and outer rims secondhand of all various sizes. You will find that several makers rims are interchangeable like image and compomotive. You just need to know the number of holes of the centres i.e. 20 or 30 hole and the inside measurement say 285mm and go hunting. I bought two three inch wide outer rims for my 20 hole centres damaged compomotive 15" wheels for £130 and they cleaned up really well. Might be a cheap and easy fix and you could always put up your old unwanted rims for sale and cover your costs. Just a thought. Pete.