Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

air suspension on my AK

Hi folks,

after many hours planning, measuring, researching and fabricating, I've finally finished with the air suspension install on my AK.

I had a bit of an accident in the original car, so have been working through a re-body, so it seemed the ideal time to upgrade to air suspension. I've fancied doing this for a while primarily so I can raise it up so its easier to get the car in and out of my sloped drive/garage without faffing with bits of wood to clear the sump, but also for a bit of extra ride comfort and an added bit of cool factor, to be able to sit it low when parked.

Ended up going with RideTech from the US as they have a neat iPhone app for controlling the suspension, and do a full kit with all shocks, tanks pumps and hoses etc for a reasonable price even after tax and import duty.

The AK seems to lend its self well as there's a good bit of room in the arches, and I was pleasantly surprised by how little fabrication was needed in the end.
    RideTech offer pretty good technical support for calculating the 'bag' sizes based on corner weight, motion ratio with spring angle correction factors and the travel needed.

Here's a quick video, but happy to go into detail if anyone's interested to hear more.

https://youtu.be/qAHbsaU5SDI

Alex

Looks great Alex, A new angle that I have not heard of anyone installing on a cobra before. I could have done with this many times to cope with various speed humps etc!
    Robin
    AK427

You should do a write up for the Technical area in Snake Torque. Sounds really good.
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by alexharris1981 View Post
    Hi folks,

after many hours planning, measuring, researching and fabricating, I've finally finished with the air suspension install on my AK.

I had a bit of an accident in the original car, so have been working through a re-body, so it seemed the ideal time to upgrade to air suspension. I've fancied doing this for a while primarily so I can raise it up so its easier to get the car in and out of my sloped drive/garage without faffing with bits of wood to clear the sump, but also for a bit of extra ride comfort and an added bit of cool factor, to be able to sit it low when parked.

Ended up going with RideTech from the US as they have a neat iPhone app for controlling the suspension, and do a full kit with all shocks, tanks pumps and hoses etc for a reasonable price even after tax and import duty.

The AK seems to lend its self well as there's a good bit of room in the arches, and I was pleasantly surprised by how little fabrication was needed in the end.
    RideTech offer pretty good technical support for calculating the 'bag' sizes based on corner weight, motion ratio with spring angle correction factors and the travel needed.

Here's a quick video, but happy to go into detail if anyone's interested to hear more.

https://youtu.be/qAHbsaU5SDI

Alex
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    AKCharlie - ''AKA SOOTY'' - AK GEN2 - LS3 - 6.2litre - 434bhp - A dream come true

Never mind the air ride.... what's that's frikkin engine !?!?!?!?!!?
    Regards

Craig Perry

No, I'm not "repairing" it, I'm fine tuning its performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinH View Post
    Looks great Alex, A new angle that I have not heard of anyone installing on a cobra before. I could have done with this many times to cope with various speed humps etc!
    got fed up of the usual routine of holding my breath in and out of the garage and anywhere near any big bumps in the road! I gain about 10cm from ride to full lift at the front and around 12 at the rear, so makes a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by AKCharlie View Post
    You should do a write up for the Technical area in Snake Torque. Sounds really good.
    Charlie
    I'd be happy to if people are interested enough. Not sure who to contact though....

Quote Originally Posted by cperry View Post
    Never mind the air ride.... what's that's frikkin engine !?!?!?!?!!?
    Got a little excited when I was looking at weiand superchargers last year and ended up getting an Edelbrock twin carb supercharger from the states. I must confess it didn't look quite so big in the pictures! bit of a blind spot front left when I drive it!

I'd be happy to if people are interested enough. Not sure who to contact though....
    Yes please! I'd like to read about that
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Got a little excited when I was looking at weiand superchargers last year and ended up getting an Edelbrock twin carb supercharger from the states. I must confess it didn't look quite so big in the pictures! bit of a blind spot front left when I drive it!
    A “little” excited! Kin ‘ell

Excellent

Jim
    GD Mk3 Jag based
    Supercharged LS1
    T56 Gearbox
    3.54 LSD Diff
    AP Vented front brakes
    Outboard X308 Vented rear brakes

Send to magazine@ukcobraclub.co.uk
    Graham Heatrick is the Editor and will assist with pleasure
    Charlie

Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    AKCharlie - ''AKA SOOTY'' - AK GEN2 - LS3 - 6.2litre - 434bhp - A dream come true

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast