Found the reason why mine pulls under braking...

Wondered why mine was behaving badly under braking shortly after having new calipers fitted.

Broken tie bar bracket. its gone mid plate, not at the weld... I'm at a bit of a loss to know why... don't remember hitting any potholes lately.

Didnt think that bit would actually carry much stress in normal driving either.

Attached Images Attached Images

On my Mk2 sumo I found cracks in the tie bar bracket plates too. I did my best to repair the cracks, and added an extra plate to effectively double the thickness. The original pilgrim design was clearly just not strong enough. Mine was fine after that, but it's something to keep an eye on in the long term.
    There is quite a lot of force exerted on these brackets, the tie bar is effectively part of the front lower wishbone type structure, and takes lots of force from bumps in the road and braking.
    Yours looks to have cracked slowly over time, judging from the corrosion along most of the crack. There is a weld next to where it cracked, but I think that was just a stress riser and the crack is due to the plate not being strong enough.

Some of the later MK2 Sumos had a slightly different design of bracket, which was in theory a bit stronger. That is what was on my Sumo, but they thinned the plate down on the later ones so they cracked too... The plate needs to be at least 6mm thick steel, and is better to have a bend in it to provide more strength. I'll see if I can find a picture of my brackets during repair.

Cheers, Richard
    --
    Richard
    GD Mk3 LS6

These were my repairs. Not good welding, but should at least now be strong enough. Hopefully you can see the brackets were better reinforced with this design. Maybe an idea for your repairs.
    Good luck with the welding!
    --
    Richard
    GD Mk3 LS6

This picture is from the outside, the previous 2 were from the inside. Hopefully it helps. Some of my welding here was even worse, but I had been getting better towards the end...
    --
    Richard
    GD Mk3 LS6

Quote Originally Posted by richard8166 View Post
    On my Mk2 sumo I found cracks in the tie bar bracket plates too. I did my best to repair the cracks, and added an extra plate to effectively double the thickness. The original pilgrim design was clearly just not strong enough. Mine was fine after that, but it's something to keep an eye on in the long term.
    There is quite a lot of force exerted on these brackets, the tie bar is effectively part of the front lower wishbone type structure, and takes lots of force from bumps in the road and braking.
    Yours looks to have cracked slowly over time, judging from the corrosion along most of the crack. There is a weld next to where it cracked, but I think that was just a stress riser and the crack is due to the plate not being strong enough.

Some of the later MK2 Sumos had a slightly different design of bracket, which was in theory a bit stronger. That is what was on my Sumo, but they thinned the plate down on the later ones so they cracked too... The plate needs to be at least 6mm thick steel, and is better to have a bend in it to provide more strength. I'll see if I can find a picture of my brackets during repair.

Cheers, Richard
    Brilliant. Really appreciate you sharing the info and pics. I'll get the other side reinforced too while im at it.