Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by hifihedgehog View Post
    I have exactly the same water pump on my sbc. The back plate on my pump was leaking so after fiddling around in the tiny space between the pump and the engine and making a balls of it, I removed the whole water pump. I tried good quality felpro gasket + hylomar blue and it still weeped, so I ditched the gaskets and refitted everything with only black RTV. Not one drop since (4 years ago). I bloody hate doing any gasket/sealing related jobs so if even I can do it and do a nice long lasting job then I'd definitely recommend just using RTV. Just be careful not to put too much sealant on otherwise it could splodge out when you fit it and get stuck in a coolant passageway. The number of times I've got carried away and applied sealant like I'm icing a cake and ended up doing it again...

In my mind the trouble with gaskets for things like water pumps is that you've doubled the number of interfaces that can leak i.e. pump-to-gasket and block-to-gasket. Black RTV is magical stuff.

Following that success I went gasket-less on my headers, just used copper RTV and that has also been fine

regards

Dave A
    I did come across that stuff during my search , but i couldn't have read it properly ,as i thought it was primarily used for oil,and didn't notice it was also suitable for coolant too,so thanks for that Dave, thats what i will get
    Paul.

AK Huddart Chevy 383 Stroker, BMW Royal Grey Metal Metallic , 5 speed Jaguar Getrag , Holley 670cfm 4 barrel street Avenger Carb, 450 BHP at flywheel , 460 Ibs/ft torque, and luvin it !

" We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing"

The Black Permatex "Right stuff" gasket maker i ordered took 8 days to arrive ,so tomorrow i am putting it all back together. I have googled sbc/edelbrock water pump bolt torque setting, which seems to be about 30-35 Lbs , does that sound about right does any one know ?
    Paul.

AK Huddart Chevy 383 Stroker, BMW Royal Grey Metal Metallic , 5 speed Jaguar Getrag , Holley 670cfm 4 barrel street Avenger Carb, 450 BHP at flywheel , 460 Ibs/ft torque, and luvin it !

" We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing"

Quote Originally Posted by hifihedgehog View Post
    Hi Paul

I cant quite remember but at least one of the water pump bolts might need sealant on the thread as it goes into a water channel. I may be imagining things and that could be an inlet manifold bolt that I'm thinking of, but it might be worth checking to avoid disapointment

regards

Dave A
    Thanks Dave, you were right, the N/S lower bolt hole does indeed go into a water Chanel,so i stuck loctite thread sealer on that bolt.

I have exactly the same water pump on my sbc. The back plate on my pump was leaking so after fiddling around in the tiny space between the pump and the engine and making a balls of it, I removed the whole water pump. I tried good quality felpro gasket + hylomar blue and it still weeped, so I ditched the gaskets and refitted everything with only black RTV. Not one drop since (4 years ago). I bloody hate doing any gasket/sealing related jobs so if even I can do it and do a nice long lasting job then I'd definitely recommend just using RTV. Just be careful not to put too much sealant on otherwise it could splodge out when you fit it and get stuck in a coolant passageway. The number of times I've got carried away and applied sealant like I'm icing a cake and ended up doing it again...

In my mind the trouble with gaskets for things like water pumps is that you've doubled the number of interfaces that can leak i.e. pump-to-gasket and block-to-gasket. Black RTV is magical stuff.

I put it all back together last weekend , using the black TRV, following your advice regarding size of bead, took it out for a drive and all worked fine with no leaks *touch wood)

After a few miles, worried look turned to smiles , and i forgot about all the cursing and banged knuckles
    Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by psh View Post
    Thanks Dave, you were right, the N/S lower bolt hole does indeed go into a water Chanel,so i stuck loctite thread sealer on that bolt.

I put it all back together last weekend , using the black TRV, following your advice regarding size of bead, took it out for a drive and all worked fine with no leaks *touch wood)

After a few miles, worried look turned to smiles , and i forgot about all the cursing and banged knuckles
    Nice!

Last weekend I discovered a crusty old tube of RTV at the back of the cupboard that I used for this job and on inspection it was Permatex, the same as you bought

regards

Dave

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12