Thread: Build insurance

Build insurance

Advise please. As my build nears completion I thought I better take out some insurance cos if anything happened now I would lose a fortune. Can anyone recommend a good insurance company that will insure a cobra in build stage. Thanks John.

Hi Sumbers, I use Footman James. They charged me £235 for a value of £32K this year.

Their contact details are as follows:-
    Phone:- 03332076101
    Web:- http://www.footmanjames.co.uk

I think we may get a discount as members of this club (but not 100% certain).

Cheers,
    Stu
    AK427 Gen III, Ford 347, TKO600
    Build Blog:- stu238-ak427.blogspot.co.uk

Wow didn't think it would be that expensive at build stage, thanks for the info Stu

Don't go with Footman James, as they DON'T insure you to and from the IVA (on the road anyway), go with Adrian Flux who do, they also offer agreed valuation.

https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/insurance/dax/

Alan.
    AK Gen II delivery date Oct '15
    GM Vortec LQ4 364ci
    Tremec T56 Terminator.

No insurance is too expensive if they pay out! When I built mine in 2014 I used Backford Bloor and it was £220. Mine was complete painted and IVA booked in when I had a fuel pipe go! Luckily it was in my drive and I had fire extinguishers at the ready. If it had been down the road, the whole car would have gone up! It still cost over £7k to put right but they paid up within 5 weeks which I thought was good.
    It is a must to have build insurance as you have a lot of money tied up. It is also a must to carry at least one fire extinguisher!
    Pay up and be happy!

Quote Originally Posted by Sumbers View Post
    Wow didn't think it would be that expensive at build stage, thanks for the info Stu
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    AKCharlie - ''AKA SOOTY'' - AK GEN2 - LS3 - 6.2litre - 434bhp - A dream come true

The replies are all very interesting to me. I suppose we do it sort of different here. I was advised by my Insurance Company that it was covered under my home owner's policy until it was finished. Plus, it needed to be inspected on-site (here, in my garage) so there was no driving until it was deemed fit and registered with the Dept of Motor Vehicles.

I also managed to get a huge discount on insurance for Collision Insurance if I went to a $2500 deductible from the usual $500. Insurance people do have a thankless job. Everyone complains about paying until they need to make a claim, and then many of them want things they were too cheap to pay additional premiums for, or just plain fib.

I'm not in the Insurance racket, but my brother runs the old family business, so I hear stories.
    John

my world... my universe... my garage.

Build insurance policies are just zero mileage policies. I've been with Hagerty since year dot and I was covered on my Vin number to and from IVA (having added mileage post build).
    Stu

My laid up insurance last year and year before (whilst car SORN'ed and having engine rebuild) was with Hagerty also, cost was around £80/yr, so basically a Zero mileage policy, wonder if cost increase due to value of vehicle/parts being insured?? - Mine has agreed value of £25k and has done since purchased in 2009.

Gary
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.