Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: srv8 steering.

srv8 steering.

Has anyone replaced the steering arms on their SRV8?
    I think I need an arm with a slight downward angle to improve my slight bumpsteer issue.
    Are any of you folks going to the Exeter show later this month?
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by JR View Post
    Has anyone replaced the steering arms on their SRV8?
    I think I need an arm with a slight downward angle to improve my slight bumpsteer issue.
    Are any of you folks going to the Exeter show later this month?
    JR
    Hi JR, it's more than a slight bumpsteer issue. The problem is the rack is too short, the steering arm will not fix the issue on its own. Madgwick have now changed the steering rack and steering arm to fix it. I have carried out the mod myself and fitted a power rack while I'm at it.
    David

SR full rebuild, now on the road, needs paint/trim to finish
    TWM EFI 388ci 532hp/498tq
    Power steering fitted.

IVA approved engine builder.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkson View Post
    Hi JR, it's more than a slight bumpsteer issue. The problem is the rack is too short, the steering arm will not fix the issue on its own. Madgwick have now changed the steering rack and steering arm to fix it. I have carried out the mod myself and fitted a power rack while I'm at it.
    Hi Dave, I was thinking of changing to power steering. What was is involved in doing the job? I was thinking of using an Astra rack and electric power steering pump. Did you have to cut the mounts at all? Have you any pics?

Cheers Russ
    SRV8 NOW WITH A JE DEVELOPMENTS 4.5 MOTOR FITTED AND LOVIN EVERY SECOND BRING ON THE SUMMER LOL.

R.E. sr v8 steering

I would also like to alter the geometry on my car to totally eliminate bump steer. Have got rid of most of it but some still remains. I am told that the rack / steering arm length are a comprimise, is this true? I have spoken to a few sr v8 owners and have been told there is no problem with the srv8 steering geometry or with their cars steering. While I'm sure they know how their cars handle, mine still has a small trace which I can't get rid of. I do know from past experience that wider wheels and stiffer springs make the problem worse, and that getting the steering arms as straight as possible noticably improves matters. It appears that it would be benificial to all, if some sort of solution could be found to make a good car even better, that doesn't cost a steering arm and a leg to implement.
    While I understand from articles I have read in the past that power steering helps, is this treating the cause and not the symptom?

Hi Mick H,

Welcome to the club - good to have another SRV8 owner (I assume) onboard.

rgds
    Gary
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

sr v8 tech tips

Thanks for the welcome Gary,
    yes it is an srv8, with fairly standard rv8 at present. Have got stroker sbc and tremec to go in but wanted to sort handling completely first. I'ts taken a while to get the bits for the engine swop together but nearly there, pretty much down to exhausts and do I really want to change the engine? as it's pretty user friendly with the rover lump in it. Car is an old sr chassis with Dax body fitted. {when I needed the body, the company was changing hands and I was not willing to wait} and dimensions are to all intents and purposes the same, and so I fitted that instead. Just to let people know who are engaged in long term builds, the sva {2005} was not a terrible problem, how the iva may have changed this I don't know.
    Mick H

Sorry for thread hijack JR

Mick - maybe worth starting a new thread in the newbie section, so we can welcome you properly

Also, post some pics of you cob - we like pics around here - Have a stroker chevy in ours, albeit not running to well at present.

JR - I contacted madgwick regarding the Steering mods and Power steering (quick, make sure Wilf ain't about ) and they quoted around 1500 to do the work - I think Mr Clarkson isn't too enamoured(sp!) with their mods though.

Mine is current standard as of 1998-2000 era.

regards
    Gary
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

Hi Gary, sorry to hear £1500 Madgewick mods were not the answer. There will be a solution, could be I need to talk to the guy at racetech whose name escapes me at the moment. He used to work at roadcraft way back and does work on old sr's and dax's amongst others.
    Mick H

Hi mick

All SR suffer from terrible bumpsteer, the MGB steering rack body is too short for the SR chassis. Madgwick have sorted the issue with either a manual rack or powersteering.

I decided to totally rebuild my car and powder coat my chassis to do the steering mods where not really an issue. I carried out my mods for a cost of 500. Madgwick supplied the metal brackets to support the rack, but to be honest I ended up remaking them myself as they looked that they where engineered by a 16 year old, at this point that's when the problems started with customer services! I won't go into it on an open forum.

Anyway, i was left on my own to fix all the issues.

Jay at racetec no help either, he don't like giving out advice about anything.

If your near Crawley, your welcome to pop in and have a look at my rolling chassis.
    David

SR full rebuild, now on the road, needs paint/trim to finish
    TWM EFI 388ci 532hp/498tq
    Power steering fitted.

IVA approved engine builder.

Hi Mick and welcome,
    If you are goong to upgrade to your Chevy/ Temec combo, my advise would be to fit them first, as the difference in weight will certainly alter the handling characteristics
    Engine & box first then suspension mods at the correct weight.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible FOR SALE

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast