Ford 302 McLeod clutch cover

I am appealing to anyone who has used a McLeod 360048 diaphragm clutch cover on a Ford 302. I am currently rebuilding the 302 engine from my gen 1 AK to a 347 stroker and for obvious reasons, need to uprate from a standard 10.5" standard clutch cover. What concerns me is the pedal pressure. Can anyone comment on the pedal pressure in comparison to standard? I am using a Getrag gearbox and adaptor plate with the 10.5" Rover McLeod friction plate. Most of my budget is going on the engine and I don't think it would run to the twin plate set up, assuming that it is available to suit the gearbox splines. I have a billet steel flywheel drilled to suit most variations. I initially had the McLeod 3 finger type heavy duty cover fitted, but need both legs to depress the clutch! Any advise as usual, much appreciated. Thanks, Mick

Hi Mick, not sure this is relevant, but I use a McLeod clutch on a 302 with a T10 gearbox, it’s heavy but ok.
    Obviously dependant on all sorts of other variables - master cylinder size, pedal ratio, slave cylinder etc.
    I had to spend time on sorting this out to get an acceptable pedal pressure.

Hi Mitch, is your cover the diaphragm type? I have tried various master cylinder sizes to try and get a light action and still release properly, but ended up going back to the recommended .750" master cylinder and 7/8" clutch slave. I don't really want to fit a servo unless I have to and also not sure what sort of vaccum strength to expect with a fairly aggressive roller camshaft when my engine is re-assembled and running. Cheers, Mick

Yes it’s a diaphragm, I tried the .75 master, but the pedal pressure was too high, so made it work with the next size down.
    I use a willwood pull slave which gives me a bit more travel. I modified the clutch fork as well.

Mick, if you’re still having problems, look up cobra 289 on the members page, there was a spread sheet you could download with all the info.

I have a McLeod set up on my Pontiac engined Dax.
    McLeod steel flywheel with 11" clutch plate and 11" 2900 lb diaphragm pressure plate (the 'heaviest'). I have used a Wilwood pull slave and 3/4" master. With a bit of messing around with pedal / clutch arm pivot ratios, the clutch is acceptable without any servo assistance.
    However, in hindsight, I may have chosen the 10.5" 2700 lb pressure plate to slightly lessen the pedal effort.
    Steve Brown

CRC Regional Rep - East Anglia

Thanks Mitch. I will be buying the McLeod clutch and will just have to play around with master cylinder sizes if it turns out to be too heavy. I think I have a .700" master cylinder I can try again.