Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

15” galaxy tyres full review..

just had a set of vitour galaxy r1 15” tyres fitted on my Sumo earlier this week, thought I’d share my experience ...

Drove the car for a couple of hours in +5 temperature slightly damp conditions, so I took it easy. But still felt like lots of progressive grip - felt like I could lean on either front or rear end without that horrible wooden feel that I’ve had from other tyres in the cold, like BF Goodrich...

I went up from 205 and 235 section to 215/60/15 and 245/60/15 which would have helped a bit with mechanical grip - but even so it felt like a profound difference.

Tyres are properly e marked and v rated so would suit those looking at SVA.

Ride quality is supple, felt nice and cushioned without too much flex (fitted initially at 21psi front, 23psi rear - garage agreed with these pressures on a 950-1000kg car). My suspension is fairly soft anyway but tyres seems to suit the set up.

Tyres look great, nice and fat on the sidewall, filling out the arches nicely. Tread is apparently a continental tyres design, but looks ‘classic’. Don’t seem to foul anywhere compared to my old sizes either, and pilgrim mk2s dont have much arch clearance.

Tyres are reversible so you can fit them with white lettering on the inside or outside. I went letter outside... because, just like stickers and race numbers, it’s cool!).

North Hants tyres are a thoroughly nice bunch of chaps and the only uk seller. They Liked the car and happy to share info. It’s their own brand - they specced the tyre. They do have a minor quirk which is they won’t take the wheels off your car (cheaper insurance?) but will lend jacks and stands under cover, so that didn’t bother me. They were happy to fit/try different tyre sizes on the car if needed to. Most orders are shipped and then fitted locally.

They have a customer who races a classic corvette in what sounded like the SRGT, Bernie’s V8 series (proper race prepped series that Cheng from thunder road races in). He wanted something cheaper to race with than the Avon Cr6zzs (which I haven’t tried but have been told dont last long, 3000mile?, £1200 a set?) in the wet. He swapped to galaxys (+£400ish a set) and only lost a second a lap....(no idea which circuit) and they lasted longer.

Overall, I’m really chuffed, great tyres, great price, great service.

Alex

Hi Alex, I went for these tyres in the summer before my LeMans trip . I went with 215/60/15 and 235/60/15 direct replacement sizes for my Dax and the same as you had BF Goodrich tyres on before . They had aged and were never very reassuring on the road although a softer ride . The Galaxy tyres even feel sticky on the hands when your handling them and on the road they feel so much planted on the road. I would have gone for 244/50/15 slightly wider than my originals as the walls and more vertical and I have enough space to fit them . I would have had to do a speedo adjust alsp I have a 2.88 diff so already high geared. I would recommend these tyres .I went with delivery which was easy and specified what day . Great service from North Hants. I had to find a local independent tyre fitter as all the main fitters do not fit other peoples tyres. They also had to stretch them to the rims with a special tool. The rims are more exposed as the BF Goodrich where more bulbous but that might be my wheels. Not had them in any wet weather so cannot comment on this side yet.

Good stuff Jon.

I'm glad the review is positive; I took all four wheels off mine and drove them over 200 miles to North Hants Tyres to have them fitted (gone up from 205/60/15 and 225 to 215 and 235). Not put them on yet as I intend to measure the shocks for a potential lowering of the car but they look awesome. I also went for the RWL on the outside. I was passing North Hants on business, by the way, but did have to wait until the 18th even though the tyres were bought on Black Friday weekend. The folks at NHT were very helpful and I wouldn't hesitate in recommending them. They don't have liability insurance to actually fit the wheels to a car, btw.
    Kittihawk: Pilgrim Sumo MK3 built '93/'94 with 2.1L Stage 2 Pinto and Ford Type 9 5-Speed Gearbox

Fitting was free with the exception of £2 plus VAT per tyre for casing disposal, so £373 all in. I think that's a bargain.
    Kittihawk: Pilgrim Sumo MK3 built '93/'94 with 2.1L Stage 2 Pinto and Ford Type 9 5-Speed Gearbox

Good to see there is a good quality alternate to the Avon's at least for the road.

cheers
    Kiel and Duncan (dad and the lad errr young man now)

AHP Crendon Chassis No 1
    Ford FE 434, dual quad, Toploader total old school all the way
    https://www.crendonreplicas.com/
    http://www.absolutehorsepower.co.uk/

Excellent review! I don't suppose you've any pictures? How the look in the wheel arch, what the tread pattern looks like on the car, that kind of thing?

1s per lap is an eternity in racing terms, but on the road it's next to nothing..
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    Excellent review! I don't suppose you've any pictures? How the look in the wheel arch, what the tread pattern looks like on the car, that kind of thing?

1s per lap is an eternity in racing terms, but on the road it's next to nothing..
    Yes good point Aaron...photo evidence required or they don't exist

cheers
    Kiel and Duncan (dad and the lad errr young man now)

AHP Crendon Chassis No 1
    Ford FE 434, dual quad, Toploader total old school all the way
    https://www.crendonreplicas.com/
    http://www.absolutehorsepower.co.uk/

Some photos of club members cars when I was looking . I think the last one on the black car were also vitour galaxy I need to fined my own photos !
    Attached Images Attached Images

I’ll take some more but I’ve one I took in the dark ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast