Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pre iva mot

Quote Originally Posted by Chimeara View Post

As for trailering rates I usually start at 50miles minimum. Anything less is negotiated on an hourly rate price or a pre negotiated set cost.
    That’s cheap!
    given that it would cost me £60 just to hire a trailer, take me three times as long to load/unload......and let’s not forget that insurance bit (often overlooked)...bargain!

Jim
    GD Mk3 Jag based
    Supercharged LS1
    T56 Gearbox
    3.54 LSD Diff
    AP Vented front brakes
    Outboard X308 Vented rear brakes

Jim I fully agree. At the end of the day it’s personal choice. Mine has and always will be to put it on or in a trailer and turn up with the tester admiring the rig and starting the test on the right foot and refreshed from a relaxing drive having loaded up the night before. Especially if it’s been raining or snowing as in some cases

Any Iva centre will allow the appropriate testing of brakes and will also allow the adjustment of headlights and emissions along with other various minor defects that require a rectification on the day.

Pre mot testing in most cases will be costing the builder more in insurance, time and garage costs than just taking the car on the day. Especially as the mot tests for different brake effort results than the Iva anyway.

At the end of the day it’s an individuals choice. I just hope and pray none of us have to ever see how good our insurance companies are in paying out should the worst happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jim View Post
    I think that’s a bit melodramatic to be honest. There’s nothing to stop me (or a million other me’s) changing brake pads at the weekend and putting them in backwards or doing something else equally daft.

A bit of common sense goes a long way.

Jim
    agreed

The law states, as long as a vehicle is insured and it is driven to a pre booked test it may be driven on the road unregistered, untaxed and without an MOT. I even checked with the Police before I drove to the pre IVA MOT and IVA test. Bias on mine was set to predominant front and only needed a slight adjustment after verification on the rollers.
    Stu

I never said that it wasn’t allowed I just don’t understand why people risk it for the sake of a few pounds extra on the build to have the car trailered and minimise the risk

Did you get through Iva with an adjustable brake bias set up ?

I think if it's locked or made unadjustable after setting it's allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by philbrad73 View Post
    I think if it's locked or made unadjustable after setting it's allowed.
    Yup, per the manual:

Note 5: Bias bars and other mechanical adjusting devices fitted to twinmaster cylinders must be rendered inoperable by mechanical meanse.g. lock wiring of components.

Though reading around it seems as though you need to have it set and rendered in operable prior to turning up for your IVA (so a trip to an MOT station, unless you have rollers at home), and nylocs will fail while lockwire will pass. Adjustable valves however, are not allowed under any circumstances:

Note 4: Hydraulic valves that only operate automatically and react tovehicle loading or braking forces are permitted (Load Sensing andGravity valves) Manually adjusted valves (other than to permit presettingthe automatic function of a valve) are not permitted to be fitted even ifthey are rendered un-adjustable.
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Ok - So I've emailed DVSA and spoken to them on the phone and they were very helpful.
    Initially I emailed them and asked if I could drive car to garage to get emissions and lights checked pre IVA. Here is the email I had back from them:

"Dear Mr Jones
    Thank you for your email enquiry dated 7 January 2019, concerning driving an unregistered vehicle.
    You are only allowed to drive an unregistered car directly to a pre booked MOT or IVA inspection and back again. These inspections are statutory inspections/tests. If the car fails either of these inspections/tests then the vehicle can be removed to a place of repair. The car should not be driven on the road at any other time until it is re-tested, registered and taxed etc.
    It would appear from the information that you have supplied that you would not be able to drive your amateur build car to have the emissions or headlamps aligned prior to the IVA inspection unless it was part of an MOT test.
    I hope this information has assisted you with your enquiry, but if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us again."

So I then called them and asked if a preIVA MOT on a car that does not legally require an MOT for 3 years would be classed as a statutory inspection/test and they confirmed that it would. They said that you can elect to have a voluntary MOT at any time, and after this initial MOT the car does still not require a further MOT for 3 years.

I also asked about how the MOT tester should log the car in the system without a reg plate, as I have seen a few posts on this topic where the tester has had issues with this. DVSA said that all the tester needs to do is when asked for the reg plate in the system, enter reg missing or n/a. The system will say it cannot find and ask if you want to create a new record. Say yes and then enter the chassis number.

Pete
    Follow my progress here http://petesakcobra.blogspot.com

Good info 👍

Well done Pete! I will ring you later.

Meanwhile I have pre booked a MOT as well prior to IVA, booked one next Monday in Bristol, one on Tuesday in York, one on Wednesday in Glasgow....................hahaha

But we'll done for clearing that debate up.

Lee
    .............never drive faster than your guardian angel.

cobraclub.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/633 - this is the link to my build photo's you have to put w w w . h t t p : / / in front of it!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123