Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pre iva mot

Pre iva mot

Hi
    I’m planning on getting an mot prior to iva to check things like emissions and brakes.
    How do the garage provide an mot if the car is not registered?
    Also, is it okay to drive to the mot?
    Cheers
    Pete
    Follow my progress here http://petesakcobra.blogspot.com

I think the latest thread that discusses this is here: http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60071
    Kittihawk: Pilgrim Sumo MK3 built '93/'94 with 2.1L Stage 2 Pinto and Ford Type 9 5-Speed Gearbox

Be exceptionally careful re: insurance, i was with Footman James who now DON'T insure you to IVA/MOT but did.

I am now with Adrian Flux that definitely DO insure you to IVA/MOT but pre-booked only.

Alan.
    AK Gen II delivery date Oct '15
    IVA pass Dec '18.
    On the road Jan '19
    GM LQ4 364ci, LS9 cam, Omex 710.
    Tremec T56 Terminator.

I’m with classicline. Gave them a call this morning and they said they would cover me but I need to let them know the date and location of the mot.

Call my cynical, but I suggest you get something in writing, normally this type of insurance is limited to mandatory tests, of which a pre IVA-MOT is not.

It is entirely reasonable to book an MOT and get the headlights checked over (something the home mechanic cannot do easily). Emissions can also be tuned and tested as part of the process.
    Box ticked.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

I did pre iva mot and glad i did like points mentioned above.
    Regards
    Gav
    AK Ls1/t56
    Body on April 2014
    Passed IVA March 2017
    Registered April 2017.

Headlights can be adjusted on the day during the test and emissions testers can be borrowed or bought.

Let us not forget, the first thing an insurance company will do after an accident is look for a reason not to pay out.

Only mandatory tests will be seen as reasonable by the insurance company after an accident unless your have in writing that the NON-IVAd car is being driven on the roads.

All I am saying is, protect yourselves against the insurers lawyers and get it all in writing. A NON-IVAd car driving to an NON-MANDATORY test.

I took mine to a pre-MOT too, but I took it on a trailer.

Classicline have said I need to pay £25 to have the insurance changed to on the road for 1 day, but you raise a good point so I’ll get it all in writing from them beforehand

Quote Originally Posted by cperry View Post
    Headlights can be adjusted on the day during the test and emissions testers can be borrowed or bought.

Let us not forget, the first thing an insurance company will do after an accident is look for a reason not to pay out.

Only mandatory tests will be seen as reasonable by the insurance company after an accident unless your have in writing that the NON-IVAd car is being driven on the roads.

All I am saying is, protect yourselves against the insurers lawyers and get it all in writing. A NON-IVAd car driving to an NON-MANDATORY test.

I took mine to a pre-MOT too, but I took it on a trailer.
    A NON-IVAd car driving to an NON-MANDATORY test - agreed, but the test is there to show up faults, of which there are highly likely to be >1 and the builder will have an idea what these may be.
    Anything at all can be done at home with time and money. The point is not everyone has either or both. Therefore it is entirely reasonable to seek professional services for some jobs. The job needs to be booked in advance so there is proof of reason to be on the road.
    however, if you have road cover for the day on your insurance, then you are good to go to drive it on the road.
    if you don'
    t feel comfortable with that, then each to his own But nothing illegal about it - that why the policy holder is paying an extra premium for temporary on-road cover before IVA. But by all means, read the small print of what is/isn't covered.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast