Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Had another bash at fixing the problematic stalks last night while the girlfriend was out. The expensive stalk ended up here:

The insides collapsed - the little bent plates that provide the 'latch' folded back on themselves because they're made of monkey metal. Oh, and when I looked at it, there is no way the dim/dip wiring could pass the circuit board, so that was getting chewed up nicely.

The cheap one, however, is now fixed. Despite looking cheaper (as it is shiny black powdercoat) it seems to be much better made - the latch pieces are made of much thicker metal and the dim/dip wiring has sleeving and correctly fits under the circuit board so it's not getting chewed up every time you use the indicators. A tiny fettle with a file fixed the fact that it wouldn't latch when indicating right (too much powder coat) and now it works just fine.

Sadly the retaining screw has stripped it's hole, so I'll need to drill that out and use an oversized, correct length bolt to clamp onto the steering column tube, but that doesn't seem like a hardship.

Job jobbed. Also turned the wiring around on my (LED) side repeaters so they actually work now

Two more jobs ticked off the ever expanding list..
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

aaronjb,

Did you cut off the old stalk holder for the Corsa B stalks ? I am at the point of deciding on stalks to use going from Triumph . The Dax kit comes with the stalk holder for Sierra stalks as most people have fitted the Ford set up . So do I try and transfer my old single Triumph stalk ,indicator and horn . Lights are on the dash . Or try fit the same as your self source the VW stalks and rewire? The other thing is the distance from steering wheel to stalks and getting the steering wheel in the correct location . The boss I have does not even hit the spring supplied by Dax as its to short and the selk canceling is way off from the stalks ? John at Dax said I need the plastic spacer from the Sierra column which will compress the new spring supplied ?
    Last edited by jon1d; 11-01-19 at 05:53 PM.

Yep - cut the stalk holder, which is also the upper bearing mount, down with a hacksaw and then filed it round .. I could have chucked it up in the lathe, but it took about five minutes the manual way and that meant I didn't have to go to the cold workshop

I'll take some pictures for you tonight of where the dash & column ends up with the wheel & stalks on, as I need to put both of them back on again (well, don't need to, but would like the dash out of the way for a few days and that's as good a place to store it as any!).

For the boss - interesting, I don't have the Dax "short spring" as it didn't come with my steering kit (supplied prior to JK) so I don't have that problem.. in fact, you can't get the Moto-lita boss on with the standard spring in place. There's no self-cancel on the indicators with the VW stalks unless I make up something custom, though.

Anyway - photos to follow..
    My DeDion build diary..

Thanks .This part is well confusing so photos will be a great help thanks

Here you go - this is with the Corsa wheel. The Moto-Lita adapter is too deep to go on with the original spring, so I need to source a shorter one. I'd be interested to see how short your short spring is

My DeDion build diary..

Photo's of my set up .
    Using adapter to Motolite 9 hole
    Attached Images Attached Images

That spring is definitely a lot shorter than the stock GM one! Your adapter doesn't look anything like mine, either.. I'll take some more pictures tonight with the other wheel on.
    My DeDion build diary..

The spring is supplied by Dax in there kit . I did not have a spring when I bought the column.

I bought 5/8" Steering Wheel Spacer Kit for 9 hole Steering Wheel to 5&6 hole Adapter . Its realy well made and nice finish . £27.50

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-8-Steer...72.m2749.l2649

The main boss is a Corsa B adaptor £10.31

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Steering-...72.m2749.l2649

The canceling part looks to be to far away from the stalk mount ? So confused if this will work.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1d View Post
    The spring is supplied by Dax in there kit . I did not have a spring when I bought the column.

I bought 5/8" Steering Wheel Spacer Kit for 9 hole Steering Wheel to 5&6 hole Adapter . Its realy well made and nice finish . £27.50

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-8-Steer...72.m2749.l2649

The main boss is a Corsa B adaptor £10.31

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Steering-...72.m2749.l2649

The canceling part looks to be to far away from the stalk mount ? So confused if this will work.
    That cancelling tab couldn't possibly reach the indicator switch assembly. I wonder what the Corsa boys did about it?? However, the Dax supplied adaptor for the Sierra/Fiesta stalks brings the stalks closer to the boss, allowing the cancelling tab to do it's job.
    DAX Cobra MK3 chassis, MK4 shell. RV8.

OK so here's the two Moto-Lita bosses I have; both came from members here, though I'll be damned if I can remember who (sorry!).

The silver one is deeper - too deep for the GM spring - and was specifically made to include indicator cancelling which (by luck!) also works with the VW stalk:

The second boss is shorter and has no horn ring/indicator cancelling, but works with the GM spring, note the gap between VW stalk and boss:

The last two photos show the amount of play I have in the Dax supplied universal joints - this seems too much, to me, so I need to source some better UJs. Watching the column it really does seem like the play is in the joints themselves. Note the position of the slot in the wheel relative to my, er, fly..

My DeDion build diary..

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast