Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    The bright longer of the two looks like it has an added section. If you are looking at using the black adapter you could add the extension for self canceling. I need to look at sourcing stalks and what to go with. I would look to cut off the stalks anyway and go aluminum stalks . Seen some people going down that route. I was then looking at a column cowling cover in leather over plastic to cover any gaps.

Yeah - I need to modify the black adapter anyway as it's a little ugly and for reasons that are entirely unclear, has that wider 'ring' around the back, so I was going to turn that down in the lathe and make up an extension piece that's a press-fit over the rear protrusion, for want of a better explanation

I'd quite like a quick-release wheel, actually, so that might all change.. depends how easy I find it to get in and out from under the wheel.
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

A quick remove wheel was invaluable to me Arron when I had the hood on, something to think about if you plan on having a hood!

Quote Originally Posted by tonym View Post
    A quick remove wheel was invaluable to me Arron when I had the hood on, something to think about if you plan on having a hood!
    Yep - I plan on a hood and/or the bubble top.. the latter could be modified with gull-wing doors (like the old GD ones?), but with a hood on, well.. I am no gymnast I can't even get in and out of my friends Gallardo or Elise with their roofs up (different friends, my friends aren't that fancy) so don't fancy my chances at the Cobra. Maybe if I manage to shed another 7st..
    My DeDion build diary..

Just dropped 7st myself, still think it'd be a struggle to get in a cobra with the hood on!

Quote Originally Posted by tonym View Post
    Just dropped 7st myself, still think it'd be a struggle to get in a cobra with the hood on!
    Congrats on that - it's not easy, as we both know! I "was" down 7st, now it's more like 6st after the second half of last year (working away a lot). Still, if I got rid of another 7st I'd be down to 17st .. don't think I've weighed that since I was 17!

'course, a GP would still call me obese and tell me to lose another 7st, even then..
    My DeDion build diary..

Aaron - re Hard top. Take a look at this work of art:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh2jkXKSBCY

Now, I have a question for the guru of the VW indicator switch:

My switch is getting sticky in the left and turn (down) position. Up or right hand turn seems OK. I put some electrical contact cleaner on it, and that seems to have made things worse. Is there a lubrication point?
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

I've seen those videos - it's amazing work .. and I'd love a roof like that; just have to practice my glass work!

Re the switch - there is usually some light grease inside on the 'latch' mechanism .. the only way in there is to take the whole thing apart, thoug, by removing the C-clip; be careful you don't fire the return spring across the room, and that you don't bend any of the little, easily bent, tabs on the latch mechanism..
    My DeDion build diary..

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    I've seen those videos - it's amazing work .. and I'd love a roof like that; just have to practice my glass work!

Re the switch - there is usually some light grease inside on the 'latch' mechanism .. the only way in there is to take the whole thing apart, thoug, by removing the C-clip; be careful you don't fire the return spring across the room, and that you don't bend any of the little, easily bent, tabs on the latch mechanism..

oh dear, what a PITA....I was hoping for something easy-peasy.
    - but thanks for the advice, at least i know now!
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

I fired the big spring (which is what returns it to centre) across the garage at least twice - it's only retained by squishing it into a little slot in one half. As Bigblock said to me originally, they are a simple affair - but one of mine had innards made of cheese monkey-metal and destroyed itself when I attempted to reassemble, and the other one had contacts made mostly of verdigris until I cleaned them up; and that was brand-new out of the box.

[edit] If you were still close by I'd offer to pop over - there's a definite "knack" to pick up after your third or fourth disassembly!
    Last edited by aaronjb; 11-02-19 at 08:01 AM.
    My DeDion build diary..

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234