Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

VW Beetle stalk supplier?

So far I've bought two classic Beetle stalks, one shiny black and cheap (£50) which came in a nice polystyrene box, and the other was dark grey and expensive (£90) in a shrink wrap pack - both came from VW Heritage and both are shite..

The cheap one fails to "lock" when indicating right and the expensive one stops working if you wiggle the wiring!

Anyone have a better supplier?

See pics for what they look like for reference.. (cheap on left, expensive on right)

My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Is it a certain mk of column/stalk as I have an early one that came with a wooden steering wheel once upon a time ??
    Steve

I am at the same stage . Trying to sort out what I do with stalks . I have Triumph column and Dax kit comes a Dax Sierra column adapter to take the Sierra stalks . Was going to have a visit to Dax factory as the boss adapter I have seems to be to far away ? All very confused at the moment . I was looking at VW stalks as an option but they seem as rare has hens teeths !

Aaron

Mine is the same as yours on the right, and I'm sure I got mine from VW Heritage.
    I'm sure mine cost me almost £125 ish back in 2008, so it looks like they have a new cheap supplier, prob in China, and sad to say its probably demand, people expecting stuff cheaper.
    If its just the wiring when you wiggle it then I would stick with this and just see if its a dry joint, cant be much if its brand new.
    If you were closer I would come over and sort it for you. You may have to just remember these were actually 1960's technology and mechanical engineering anyway. I bet if you spoke to VW owners in the day half of them would prob say they were sh ite then.

If you can build a Cobra from bits, hence the names of these, kit cars, then you can fix an indicator stalk, you can show me it in May at Stoneleigh.

Cheers

David
    Last edited by Bigblock; 02-01-19 at 08:25 PM. Reason: typo, crap chineeseeeeee keyboard

Ah - the Veedub aftermarket. A world of Taiwanese/Chinese etc mass-produced crap. Not limited to just VWs either. Wherever possible, I try to use original parts, even if old and used. They're still better than repro junk, but much harder and more expensive to find.
    You could contact Karmann Konnection and see what they have?
    DAX Cobra MK3 chassis, MK4 shell. Stainless steel butter dish. 110mm Cake tin. Whatever works. RV8.

Quote Originally Posted by iow steve View Post
    Is it a certain mk of column/stalk as I have an early one that came with a wooden steering wheel once upon a time ??
    Steve
    The "original" stalks, that I'm aiming for, are off a 66-67 Beetle or Karmann Ghia (always fancied one of those..) - and as Jon says, hard to get hold of now, in any form Although there is a supplier in the US claiming to have new-old-stock (https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...141953517f043/)

Quote Originally Posted by Bigblock View Post
    Mine is the same as yours on the right, and I'm sure I got mine from VW Heritage.
    I'm sure mine cost me almost £125 ish back in 2008, so it looks like they have a new cheap supplier, prob in China, and sad to say its probably demand, people expecting stuff cheaper.
    If its just the wiring when you wiggle it then I would stick with this and just see if its a dry joint, cant be much if its brand new.
    If you were closer I would come over and sort it for you. You may have to just remember these were actually 1960's technology and mechanical engineering anyway. I bet if you spoke to VW owners in the day half of them would prob say they were sh ite then.

If you can build a Cobra from bits, hence the names of these, kit cars, then you can fix an indicator stalk, you can show me it in May at Stoneleigh.
    May bank holiday, you say.. I still can't guarantee it'll be attached to a car, though That said, I was considering breaking the "cheap" one apart to see how it works inside. I have a feeling a lot of springs will come flying out, but you're right, it can't be that complicated inside, it's a 1960s indicator stalk.. once I've figured that one out, repair the more expensive of the two (which feels better, but does need some attention - the dim/dip wires are already rubbing through, and it's brand new!)

Quote Originally Posted by Bannon View Post
    Ah - the Veedub aftermarket. A world of Taiwanese/Chinese etc mass-produced crap. Not limited to just VWs either. Wherever possible, I try to use original parts, even if old and used. They're still better than repro junk, but much harder and more expensive to find.
    You could contact Karmann Konnection and see what they have?
    Thanks Bannon - if I can't fix it, I'll give them a try
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

I went for one of these:

http://www.machine7.com/product.php?xProd=3005

I've not fitted it yet. Sounds like it may be similar to the before mentioned ones.

I also fond this one:

https://www.justkampers.com/141-953-...tch-black.html

Thanks
    Jeremy
    Last edited by Boxoftricks; 03-01-19 at 08:33 AM.

Have used a couple of the machine 7 ones and no problems yet.

They were out of stock for a while. So thanks for posting. Just ordered 5 for stock while they have some.

this is the column/stalks
    I have doesn't look the same as the others
    But it does say 'made in Germany '
    Attached Images Attached Images

Another pic cheers steve
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast