Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by v8muscle View Post
    Hi Russ,

No immobiliser but I can do some checks on the ignition barrel. Is it possible something has gone bang inside there??
    It's possible that the ignition switch has failed. I've heard of a few going on other Cobras. Should be easy to test as "1dayiwill" has described. It might be worthwhile getting yourself a cheap multimeter.

Russ.
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    1984 DAX Cobra
    Rover 3.5 V8 with Holley carburetor.

Another suggestion for the multimeter. A cheap one is only a tenner or so, and can be invaluable.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Just bought another one for under £30. Lost my other one!Just make sure if you do get a cheap one that you can change the battery on it.
    Some of them you cannot, leave it on and you have one useless multimeter.
    Cheers,
    Murray

That's the trouble with you Sailors, long hair, quick zips and, Oohh, look at the size of that!!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Multimeter for 859 pennies.....https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-mas83...600v/75337#_=p
    Includes the 9v battery too. It doesn't have test leads with crocodile clips on the ends, which can be handy, but a small sacrifice for the low price.

Russ.
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    1984 DAX Cobra
    Rover 3.5 V8 with Holley carburetor.

Thank you very much 1dayiwill, I'll do exactly that.

Many thanks!
    Jon LR

Magnum with Ford 289ci & 4 speed Toploader

You can buy the crocodile clips that push onto the ends of the leads for £1 on eBay.

If you find 12v on the battery terminals themselves, first thing is to make sure there is no corrosion between them and the clamps by cross measuring. So from - terminal to + clamp and vice versa. Then check mass connection on chassis and work your way up on positive side to fuse box and so on. Any relais maybe in feed circuit?

BR, Theo

Hi Theo,

Thanks for the advice. There are a couple of relays, can they go pop? How do I test if they're good still?
    Jon LR

Magnum with Ford 289ci & 4 speed Toploader

Not common, but they can. But first test if your fuses still have power supplied to them, do you have access to a multimeter? (It can be done with a 12v lamp with wires attached as said before)

Another little suggestion to your armoury of testing equipment I have been using for some 45 odd years restoring old classics is a 12v Buzzer. Connect one end to earth and have the other end on a long long trailing lead, test each power supply you might think is dead/alive, good thing about a buzzer is you can have your head under the dash, legs over the back of the seat and not have to look at a meter or look for a lamp ( now my old eyes are getting bad it means glasses that always fall off )
    The other thing about some digital meters is that they may read 12v on a supply but if a load is applied the connection/switch/supply can break down thus giving the impression that there is a good 12v present. If a load is applied, ie a buzzer, lamp etc hopefully any load will show up a bad connection, lose cable fixing, crimp etc.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast