Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Electrical problem - Please help

I am very mechanically minded and do all the work on my cars myself, however, I am by no means electrically minded and electrics have always been the bane of my life. Over the past month I have removed the old dash from my Magnum Cobra, built a new dash with new layout and a couple of replacement gauges.

During the process of removing the old dash I labeled all the wires as they came off the gauges with the plan of simply reconnecting them as they were before. This evening I completed putting the gauges into the new dash and reconnected the wires as they were removed. Once all connected I turned the key - fuel pump started, ignition light came on, amp meter worked. I then thought I'd test everything in stages - turned on the side lights, no problem but once I turned on the headlights all electrical power stopped. No fuel pump running, no ignition light, no nothing!

I have checked all the fuses, nothing. Could someone please suggest where I should start the investigation.

Thanks in advance from an electrical numpty!
    Jon LR

Magnum with Ford 289ci & 4 speed Toploader

Check that there is not an earth left disconnected somewhere.
    Cheers

Myles D-W

Thanks Myles. I did check all the earth connections, they look fine. Not sure if that would make sense though. Everything was fine until I turned on headlights, since then there is NO power.
    Jon LR

Any chance the battery is dead, the lights being the final straw?
    Kittihawk: Pilgrim Sumo MK3 built '93/'94 with 2.1L Stage 2 Pinto and Ford Type 9 5-Speed Gearbox

No, I'm pretty sure not. It's on trickle charge and never gives a problem. It is definitely as if something has blown / shorted and now nothing is getting power.

Very strange!!!???
    Jon LR

Is there a master fusible link somewhere?
    Cheers

Myles D-W

That's what it seems like but I've been unable to find anything. It's driving me mad! Thanks Myles.
    Jon LR

Do you have an immobiliser?
    Are you able to check if you have 12v in and out of the ignition barrel contacts?

I think if a wire had burnt out then you would have smelt it go or seen smoke.

Russ.
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    1984 DAX Cobra
    Rover 3.5 V8 with Holley carburetor.

Hi Russ,

No immobiliser but I can do some checks on the ignition barrel. Is it possible something has gone bang inside there??
    Jon LR

Assuming all your fuses are ok no power at all sounds like a wire has come adrift somewhere. A bad connection could work at low current but break down completely when a higher current is applied. You really need some kind of tester. If you haven’t got one- make one. A 12v light bulb on the end of a pair of wires. Connect one wire to a good earth (a clothes peg will do) and then touch the other wire to the positive terminal on your battery. The light will come on if your battery is ok. Then simply work your way along the wiring to look for a current. Brown wires are usually unfused live so you should find current on any brown wire. Switched live are usually green so you should get s currrnt on a green wire when the ignition is on.
    The ignition barrel is a good place to start looking.
    HTH.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast