Another Electrical Conundrum

Hello all you clever electrical experts!
    I have a MkIII GD. I have recently fitted power steering which meant I have been doing some wiring work behind the dash and under and in the footwell.
    Now the power steering is working fine but I now have a cooling fan which will not turn off!!
    Happened on the meet yesterday and it was a cool day, no real need for the fan to come on.
    Here are the symptoms...started and run to get up to temperature kept on watching the temp gauge but fan came on before I saw any movement.
    However when it came on I checked the gauge and it was over at 260 deg C then suddenly went back to below zero and stayed there.
    Took off the leads from the rad thermostat sender, no difference. Turned off ignition and fan continued to run, checked the temps all round with a lazer temp gauge but nothing too hot, no overflowing from the radiator. After 30 mins fan still running, pulled fuse to stop it.
    1 hour later when all was nice and cool put fuse back in, fan running!!
    Now I suppose it is possible that I have cocked something up whilst working under the dash but I don't think so but will be checking by taking the seat out again and getting under.
    I have checked the relay with a multimeter which seems to be working OK, but I am going to replace it with another to be sure. I am no electrical expert.
    So those in the know, can you shed any light on what may be the problem?
    Thank you in advance,
    Cheers,
    Murray

That's the trouble with you Sailors, long hair, quick zips and, Oohh, look at the size of that!!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Sorted it, short on the exhaust.
    Obviously I disturbed the cables enough to melt,
    Cheers,
    Murray

That's the trouble with you Sailors, long hair, quick zips and, Oohh, look at the size of that!!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

That’s good! Usually the case when you’ve been doing something and another fault develops it’s related to what you’ve been doing and you just need to retrace your steps. Having said that reminds me of the time I replaced a broken shower. Replaced it and it didn’t work so assumed I’d got a duff one so took it out and returned it for another. Put that one in and that one didn’t work also. Turned out there was a burst water main and the water had been turned off! What were the chances!
    Dek