Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LS3 AK Gen III Build

So the kitchen and garage works to the house is complete, Christmas and NewYear are over and my build can finally start for real.

I've started a build blog at:

NigelBLS3Cobra.blogspot.com

I'll try to keep that updated but will add to this thread as well.

I've started with a rolling chassis with engine and gearbox installed to give me a fighting chance of getting it on the road for summer 2020. Wish me well. No doubt there will be a number of question to follow. Many thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looking good so far Nigel. Best with your build.

AK kits are like Airfix kits they just fit perfectly together out of the box
    Enjoy your build

High on the list of jobs to do before the body is reunited with the chassis is to fit the heater. So I thought I would give it a go.

AK recommend either a heater from the MK2 VW Polo or the Heat3 heater from CBS. I have decided to go for the Heat3 unit and put it in a box.

Heater Fitted. by MarlinBuild, on Flickr

I have made the box out of Aluminium sheet and fitted it to the engine bay bulkhead. All seems OK from this side and I'll think about routing air to the demisters and cabin when I come to do the interior.
    Last edited by NigelB; 24-01-19 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Spelling
    AK Gen 3 with LS3. Build start January 2019

www.flickr.com/photos/marlinbuild/

Is that fitted as high and as far back as possible? Maybe a clash with the gearbox there......

I marked the position of the engine, bell housing and chassis cross member on the side of the footwell before I started. It all looks OK (providing my measurements were OK........!!)

I have now fitted the fuel pump and filter.

Fuel filter and pump by MarlinBuild, on Flickr

There seems to be some different opinions as to whether to put a filter before the pump or not. The pump suppliers say you must. But they also tend to say that the pump should be within 600mm of the tank. I cannot find an acceptable way of fitting a pre pump filter and keeping within 600mm in the AK. So I have fitted free flowing 50 micron filter anyway and, with crossed fingers, fitted the pump approx 750mm from the tank.

So should I fit another finer filter downstream of the pump prior to the fuel rail. The belts and braces solution is to fit one but is it really necessary........??

I had issues with dirt in petrol when abroad. Injector blocked etc. Northampton M/Sport sorted the issue and stated I should have another filter before the engine. They put this on while I was there and kept the paper filter which they stated is fine for the LS3.
    Charlie
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    AKCharlie - ''AKA SOOTY'' - AK GEN2 - LS3 - 6.2litre - 434bhp - A dream come true

I think the idea is to have a coarse filter before the pump to protect the pump and then a finer gauge filter closer to the fuel rail/carbs to protect those.

Thanks for that. It certainly 'feels' like the right thing to do.......

Charlie, was there a link or pic of the 'this' one you mention.

Thanks

Nigel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast