Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Steering column universal joints

Quick question - the UJs supplied by Dax many moons ago (er.. six years?) feel like they have quite a lot of play - which all seems to be in the bearings within the yoke. In pictures, about this much play:

In video form it looks worse: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ytu3cYsGCn8AkyPC7

Anyway, does anyone have any experience of the UJs that CBS sell? I need ~14mm 36spline joints, so have the choice of three:

1) These, which look identical to the Dax supplied ones: https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/...l-joint-forged
    2) These, which are cheaper, but the same as most production cars: https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/...-x-916-splines
    3) These, blingtastic ones, https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/...niversal-joint

Any experience of the options? Thanks!
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Certainly looks excessive. I'm trying to figure out how you would get that much play from the UJ What's happening at the joints when this happens?

Quote Originally Posted by philbrad73 View Post
    Certainly looks excessive. I'm trying to figure out how you would get that much play from the UJ What's happening at the joints when this happens?
    Harder to film on my tod, but basically you can see the two yokes of the UJ 'twist' around one another. Rather like the needle bearings have collapsed and the only thing restricting the side play is the rubber bearing seals; they can't have collapsed totally as there would be much more movement than that, though.

I'll see if I can persuade the other half to hold the phone tonight..
    My DeDion build diary..

That's a lot of play. If it's in the UJs, they're shot. The 'blingtastic' joints you listed are the ones that you would receive from Dax if you ordered them. I got one from Dax and another from CBS - they are identical. I can't say how long they last, however, as my car is not yet back on the road.
    DAX Cobra. May contain nuts. Always read the label.

At the UJ I would expect to see one half of it move about 2-3mm before the other half moves?

There were some joints about a few years ago that had excessive room.
    We had some from rally design which all had to go back.
    Since then we have sourced from Kiley & Clinton who seem to manufacture to a much higher tolerance. No problems since then.
    I have had the blingy ones as well and to be honest they are not that great either. There really shouldn't be any discernible play.
    Sometimes the play is with the spline fit which is another reason we went to Kiley's as they roll our shaft splines to suit.

A
    A S motorsport Ltd. 01379 688356 mob; 07909531816 web; asmotorsport.co.uk email \"andrewsoar@yahoo.com\"

Quote Originally Posted by philbrad73 View Post
    At the UJ I would expect to see one half of it move about 2-3mm before the other half moves?
    That seems about what I have, I think.. I'll try to get a video of it - but I can't see anywhere else in the system with any play, and it's definitely play before the rack input moves, if you see what I mean, rather than the rack input moving and wheels doing nothing.
    My DeDion build diary..

To make sure its not the splines put some Tipex on each shaft and each UJ where they join then give your steering wheel a half turn in one direction only, then look if all the marks align up. If they do turn the wheel in the opposite direction and check again. (you should have four pairs of marks to check one at each end of each UJ)

Shuggy

In the defence of the UJs, only one bolt on the lower UJ is tight right now as I haven't filed a relief for the bolt on the intermediate shaft side yet.. but, this is what the movement looks like at the column end:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/2MA1pyuT2fW3vJ8g9
    My DeDion build diary..

It looks like some play in the rack.

Steering shaft joints

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast