Thread: AK Sports Car

AK Sports Car

Hi Fellow cobra builders.

I am looking for some advice on my kit car. My name is Donald & I am new to the cobra forum. I am currently building the AK sports car generation 2 with XJ40 running gear. I was planning to install the chevy 350 crated engine with the TREMEC gear box until recently. I logged onto Parts world Performance & noted the LS3 engine was round about the same price as the chevy 350.
    So I am seriously thinking the LS3 would be better.
    When I ordered the chassis I got AK sports car to weld chevy 350 engine mounts to the chassis.
    (The Position I am in just now) suspension is all fitted & the chassis is now rolling. The kit is still bear (with nothing related to the chevy 350 only the engine mounts) so I think now is the time to change if it is not too expensive.

The Question:

• Will I have to upgrade my brakes from XJ40 for the LS3 engine (430BHP). I am not using the car for track?
    • Parts world recon there is an adapted plates which mean you can mount a LS engine in place where a small block would be. (easy fix).
    • Would I need to fit 2 x catalytic convertors to the LS3.
    • Purchas a ECU
      Regards Donald Reid

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Reid View Post
    The Question:

• Will I have to upgrade my brakes from XJ40 for the LS3 engine (430BHP). I am not using the car for track? - No need, Jag brakes are happy with a 2 tonne lump, Cob will be fine
    • Parts world recon there is an adapted plates which mean you can mount a LS engine in place where a small block would be. (easy fix). -Speak with AK first, they may have one.
    • Would I need to fit 2 x catalytic convertors to the LS3. Yes
    • Purchas a ECU - Yes, either from PWP with a GM ecu, or AK may have a preferred ECU and loom already
      Regards Donald Reid
    Regards
    Jim
    GD Mk3 Jag based
    Supercharged LS1
    GD J1M

Hi Jim
    Thanks for the info & good advice.

Kind regards
    Donald Reid