Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cotton reel rubber exhaust mounts.

Re-mounted my side pipes with cotton reel rubber mounts, the actual rubber being 35mm thick. I’m a bit worried the pipes are hanging a bit low now and perhaps something like 20mm might have been better. Anyone know who can supply assorted sizes?
    Dek

Fibet.co.uk do most things. Although there are plenty of other sources.

A
    A S motorsport Ltd. 01379 688356 mob; 07909531816 web; asmotorsport.co.uk email \"andrewsoar@yahoo.com\"

Thanks guys. The ones I have on at the moment are about 60mm diameter and 35mm thick. Most mounts on side pipes seem to be quite beefy like this presumably because of the weight. Don’t want to go too small in case they fail so I suppose what I’m looking for is a diameter of 50/60mm but thickness 20mm.
    Dek

The secret with cotton-reel mounts is that they need to be used in compression, not shear and not tension in which they will stretch and fail sooner or later.
    Cheers

Myles D-W

Try Clampco, they supply the trade https://www.clampcouk.co.uk/exhaust-...bbers.html?p=2
    Hawks use Renault Megane cotton reel type.
    Stu

Best way in my opinion, and a variation of how mine are fitted is to remove the washer and stud fitted to either side and trim to the desired thickness. Then drill a hole through them in the centre. Then you just put an appropriate length nut and bolt through the brackets sandwiching the rubber. Cant fail unless the bolt snaps and because you are only lightly squeezing the rubber there is more than enough flex for the exhaust. Bonus is you wont have to buy anything else as well.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Quote Originally Posted by StewbieC View Post
    Try Clampco, they supply the trade https://www.clampcouk.co.uk/exhaust-...bbers.html?p=2
    Hawks use Renault Megane cotton reel type.
    Thanks Stu. Can’t really see what the sizes are from the pictures so I’ve emailed them with the measurements. Very good prices though.
    Dek

Quote Originally Posted by TINKA View Post
    Best way in my opinion, and a variation of how mine are fitted is to remove the washer and stud fitted to either side and trim to the desired thickness. Then drill a hole through them in the centre. Then you just put an appropriate length nut and bolt through the brackets sandwiching the rubber. Cant fail unless the bolt snaps and because you are only lightly squeezing the rubber there is more than enough flex for the exhaust. Bonus is you wont have to buy anything else as well.
    Thanks Martin, that’s an alternative solution. Are yours in compression or tension? If they are in tension I can see the mount rather than being a hanger becomes more of a vibration buffer. Trying to work out if that would be ok.
    Dek

Mine hang on them, but I don't think it would make much difference either way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast