Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

UK Roads Road Friendly

I have a 2004 Dax Cobra built by Dave Brookes and as much as I love it - driving it isn't as pleasurable as I would like it to be primarily because the road surfaces are not great which induces bangs, rattles, bump steer, camber following etc and then there's traffic, multiple traffic lights junctions etc which with a heavy clutch becomes tedious - I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on how best to make the Cobra more useable / UK road friendly or is it simply that's the way it is....

might first point of call would be to speak to Dave himself - he'll give you an idea on what, if anything, you can do to resolve those issues, especially the bumpsteer problem.

Might be able to fit a servo to clutch, but not sure.

What wheel/tyre size are you running, and what pressures have you got in them. Mine tramlines mainly due to the tyre sizes (235/50/16 front and 255/50/16 rear) and there is bump steer which can be resolved with some steering changes from what i understand on the SRV8.

rgds
    Gary
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

Ken - my answer to the appalling state of the roads in southern England is to do most of my Cobra driving these days in mainland Europe. The roads are much better and less crowded over there, and they also have great things called mountains and hairpin bends!

The next European Cobra Meeting is in August in Vingsted, Denmark - there's still time to sign up!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee on the Solent Ken View Post
    I have a 2004 Dax Cobra built by Dave Brookes and as much as I love it - driving it isn't as pleasurable as I would like it to be primarily because the road surfaces are not great which induces bangs, rattles, bump steer, camber following etc and then there's traffic, multiple traffic lights junctions etc which with a heavy clutch becomes tedious - I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on how best to make the Cobra more useable / UK road friendly or is it simply that's the way it is....
    Alan

CRC Thames Valley Regional Rep
    UK Rep for European Cobra Club (eurocobra.boards.net)
    Dax 427 DeDion - Huddart SBC 383

Bump steer, camber following, tramlining etc can largely be eradicated with a good geo setup (I don’t know the Dax settings but someone else will chip in), bangs and rattles are probably just par for the course with all the potholes sadly. The clutch really doesn’t need to be stupidly heavy with a bit of planning, but as above you could probably fit a small clutch servo if you can’t tweak master/slave/pedal ratio to suit.

Rgds

Jim

PS- Agree with Alan, get over to Europe
    GD Mk3 Jag based
    Supercharged LS1
    GD J1M

I had a servo fitted to my ram and it worked great .or this is where I shot ,convert it to auto
    😲😲😉

- time of day is critical for driving pleasure (avoid rush hour and an hour after that, as well as sunday late morning / sunday lunchtime: Bert and Hilda will be out driving to Gladice and Dicks' for lunch @ 20mph), and locality - well, get out of town as quickly as possible and head for a nice long windy road with a friendly pub at the end of it.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Thanks for the helpful response. I'm running on 235/45/R17 front and 255/45/R17 with 22psi all round. I wonder to what degree power steering makes a difference to the driving experience? Also any thoughts on best shock absorbers and set up. I've thought about the clutch servo but not sure how to set that up. Really interested in thoughts and ideas - having driven around the M25 in stop start traffic in a Cobra I would have killed for an auto but I won't be swapping out anytime soon😁

EPAS was one of the best mods I made for everyday driving!
    GD Mk3 Jag based
    Supercharged LS1
    GD J1M

Same tyres and pressures as my Dax but I don’t have the problems you have. A hydraulic thrust bearing in the clutch is much better than the arm operated type if you don’t already have that. Master cylinder size and pipe size are also important. With regards to the handling it sounds like you need to start from scratch with the set up. There was a modification to the very early Dax chassis for bump steer, not sure what year yours is.
    Can’t help with the traffic though!!

We built an AK two years ago and fitted an auto box. When we go to shows we get coments like a nice car spoilt by making it auto, but we love it and it is fun to drive. we are lucky up here there is fantastic Cobra roads to drive on.

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast