Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

New LED rear lights available for Lucas L542

Hi,

We've designed and produced a new LED rear light fitting for the Lucas L542 units that overcomes all of the existing issues as we see them. They produce a bright yellow indicator from behind the red lens, as well as much brighter tail and brake lights and fit within the existing fitting.

I don't want to "advertise" on the forum without permission, but I feel that these new rear lights are real safety improvement when compared to the "original" bulb arrangement.

If someone can either approve me posting some more details and prices, or let me know what I need to do to "advertise", I'll post more details and pictures.

Regards,
    Paul

Hi Paul, i don't see why you couldn't post this is the parts for sale section.
    I'd be interested for sure.
    Plenty of other posts on here about bespoke stuff for sale.
    I assume you're just selling the LED conversion and not the complete lamps?
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible FOR SALE

Nice one Paul. I'm sure there will be quite a few people interested in your kit for the coffin tail lights.

Russ.
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    1984 DAX Cobra
    Rover 3.5 V8 with Holley carburetor.

Okay, I've been given permission to post an "advert" by the forum admin so here are the details:

Hi,
    For the past few months we’ve been working on a design for an improved rear light arrangement to fit within the Lucas L542 lens and mounting.

I’m all for originality, but there are some aspects that present a potential danger on modern roads, one of those being the very dim tail and brake lights and the potentially confusing flashing red indicator.

The objective was to produce an LED fitting that would produce a bright red tail and brake light as well as a bright yellow indicator, without having to change the external appearance of the light fitting.

After numerous prototypes and much testing, we now have a product that will be coming off production from Friday 1st July. We use very high intensity LED’s and the yellow indicator LED’s are so bright that they are virtually unaffected by the red light lens. The circuit board itself is made of aluminium to act as a heat sink and there is protection circuitry built in to the board to further avoid over-heating.

Tail & indicator:

Brake & indicator:

The lights fittings are supplied as a complete kit, including extra wiring and connectors and an LED compatible flasher relay and will fit inside the existing L542 lights.

The List price is £170 + postage (UK: £4, Worldwide: £10). However, I will be supplying a code that will reduce that to £150 + postage.

All being well, I should have these fitted to my car ready for Le Mans next week and I’ll also be at the Silverstone Classic, so if anyone want to see them in operation, look me up at either of those events. I will also post some pictures when I have installed one of them so that you can see a comparison between the two rear lights.

In the meantime, if anyone would like a set, send me a PM and I’ll provide you with a discount code to order them online.

Thank you,
    Paul

Would these pass Iva or not ?
    Very interested either way
    Dave

Hi Dave,

I don't see why not. Although we have left the lower reflector section intact and shine the LEDs through them, you may need to add some additional red reflectors just for the test.

Paul

The edge radius of the L542 lens was not SVA friendly and needed to be filed down to pass, so most folk fitted the L691 for the test and then retro fitted the L542. I'm not 100% sure re the IVA but suspect it to be the same.
    Cheers, Clive

(If I'm not here, I'm either in my new workshop or on the golf course!)

I couldn't swear to it, but I seem to think that some of the current copies already have the radius on them.

Paul

Looks great Paul.
    For clarification:
    When both lights are off, is the the lens completely red, or is it a red/orange split lens?
    Does the price include a pair of Lucas coffin lights, or is this just for the LED inserts?
    Last edited by KevinW; 27-06-16 at 09:19 PM.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Hi Kevin,
    When all lights are off, the lens is completely red as per original. It is only yellow when the indicator is in use, which is bright enough to be clearly seen in bright daylight, even when the brake light is on.
    I wanted much better rear lights, but I wasn't prepared go change the external appearance and I found nothing else available that did what I wanted, so the only option was to get it done myself. I'm very please with the results.
    The price doesn't include the Lucas lights, but the kit does include everything else necessary to convert them.

Paul

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast