Thread: Air filter

Air filter

Hi Guy's can any of you technical boffins see an issue with changing my air filter element from a edelbrock 14x3 to a K&N 14x2.5. Don't want the engine to struggle which is a sbc 383 stroker. Only reason I need to change the filter is for bonnet scoop clearance I've already cut down the filter base plate as much as I dare but still have very little clearance on the driver side of the scoop the passenger side has plenty of clearance Ak Gen 3 by the way. The car has been on the road for a year now and the filter has taken the paint of the bonnet scoop. The body shop said they will look at profiling the scoop to give required clearance but that's the costly approach. So can anyone see an issue with losing half an inch?????

Cheer Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Gowdy34 View Post
    Hi Guy's can any of you technical boffins see an issue with changing my air filter element from a edelbrock 14x3 to a K&N 14x2.5. Don't want the engine to struggle which is a sbc 383 stroker. Only reason I need to change the filter is for bonnet scoop clearance I've already cut down the filter base plate as much as I dare but still have very little clearance on the driver side of the scoop the passenger side has plenty of clearance Ak Gen 3 by the way. The car has been on the road for a year now and the filter has taken the paint of the bonnet scoop. The body shop said they will look at profiling the scoop to give required clearance but that's the costly approach. So can anyone see an issue with losing half an inch?????

Cheer Paul.
    The K&N will have an improved airflow over the standard paper/cotton filter. I very much doubt you'll notice any loss in performance with half an inch less. (no innuendos please!).

Russ.
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    1984 DAX Cobra
    Rover 3.5 V8 with Holley carburetor.

depends on the type of lid the filter has - my understanding is that using the thinner filter will move the lid closer to the top of the air choke horn on the carb (if holley that is) - i went from a 2" to a 3" filter to give more space but at the cost of filter hitting scoop.

The current filter hits the edge of the scoop and has also taken paint of, but i can close the bonnet still.

Not sure if at the end of the day the filter being closer to the carb choke horn affects anything or not though.

rgds
    Gary
    Last edited by nealgs; 11-02-19 at 04:05 PM.
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

As said above, how much gap will it leave between the lid and the carb primary intakes? Depends on what kind of carb you have on there. If Holley, they often have a fairly chunky choke horn sticking up.... (some 4150 models don't). might not be a lot of space left between it and the lid.

If so, the solution is fairly straight forward. You can bin the choke mechanism, and machine the choke horn down flat to the carb body. As a bonus they flow a teeny bit better without it. You dont need the choke
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader/Vintage cast knock on wheels
    Dedion Dax/Clarkson 383 Chevy with roller 4/7 swap cam, AFR195 heads - SOLD

Gary/ Lloyd
    It's an edelbrock carb so no choke horn,the bonnet shuts with around 2/3mm clearance but must touch whilst driving. Russ that's what I thought I've used a couple of those online air filter formulas came back ok the other said the 2.5 inch wasn't good enough.

Paul

I have just put the K&N on mine also because of bonnet clearance.
    I found some calcs to work out the filter area required for a 383.
    It worked out at around 2 ¼ inches so the K&N should be fine.

I have a modified holley with the choke horn milled off and modified float bowl vents. (see attachment.. Hopefully)
    The reason for the mod is that if your filter lid is closer to the carb you can end up dragging fuel through the vents under WOT.
    I bought the carb already modified from Alan (conrod) who was very knowledgeable about the subject.
    Maybe you could do something similar with the edelbrock.

Cheers

Attached Images Attached Images

Glad the modded carb is working OK Mike!

Quote Originally Posted by incey1966 View Post
    I have just put the K&N on mine also because of bonnet clearance.
    I found some calcs to work out the filter area required for a 383.
    It worked out at around 2 ¼ inches so the K&N should be fine.

I have a modified holley with the choke horn milled off and modified float bowl vents. (see attachment.. Hopefully)
    The reason for the mod is that if your filter lid is closer to the carb you can end up dragging fuel through the vents under WOT.
    I bought the carb already modified from Alan (conrod) who was very knowledgeable about the subject.
    Maybe you could do something similar with the edelbrock.

Cheers

Alan

CRC Thames Valley Regional Rep
    UK Rep for European Cobra Club
    Dax Tojeiro DeDion - Huddart SBC 383

Thank you guys I'll give the 2.5 inch filter a go and see if I notice any difference.

Cheers Paul