Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bonnet Locks

Bonnet Locks

I’m about to fit my bonnet locks.
    I’m using the S&J ones and I was going to use the extra-long cams as I believe they give a neater installation, as you can hide the brackets under the bodywork.
    However after chatting with S&J, they advised that the only problem with the longer cams is that it is possible to damage your paint work if you shut the bonnet with the lock in the closed position.

I was just wondering what most people have used and how likely are you to close the bonnet with the lock in the closed position.

Cheers

Mike

Used extra long ones and never had a problem

I'm the same too, not really possible to damage the paint as they will be in the unlocked position with the bonnet open anyway.

Alan.
    AK Gen II delivery date Oct '15
    IVA pass Dec '18.
    On the road Jan '19
    GM LQ4 364ci, LS9 cam, Omex 710.
    Tremec T56 Terminator.

I’ve got the extra long ones. Means you can have a shorter bracket that sits neater in the engine bay.

Cheers Chaps,

I will fit the extra long ones...

My advice is............................don't close your bonnet with the locks in the closed position. You could maybe install a suitable placard with the text 'DO NOT CLOSE THE BONNET WITH THE LOCKS IN THE CLOSED POSITION!' on the car, in case you forget that you shouldn't close the bonnet with the locks in the closed position.
    Alternatively, a micro-switch system could illuminate a warning light to alert you that 'YOUR BONNET LOCKS ARE IN THE CLOSED POSITION!'
    Or, you could install a warning buzzer, which would aurally alert you to the fact that 'YOUR BONNET LOCKS ARE IN THE CLOSED POSITION!'
    ....or you could run without the bonnet.
    DAX Cobra. May contain nuts. Always read the label.

Or you could buy a Prius.

All of the above posts are meant as light humour. Please don't take offence guys, I read it back and started to worry. No harm meant.

Non Taken,

I must admit it does seem like it would be a bit of a daft thing to do.

The only scenario I could come up with, is someone fiddling with bonnet locks while your bonnet is open.
    Or maybe asking the wife to close your bonnet for you…..

Both highly unlikely…..

As a slightly more serious suggestion, the way I would do this on an aircraft installation, (remembering that the new breed of maintenance mechanics struggle to tie their own shoelaces) would be to paint the upper surface of the cam bright red or yellow to act as a visual reminder.

It wouldn't be seen during normal operation, but in an abnormal situation, i.e. bonnet open - latches closed, would be immediately obvious.
    AK Gen II - Delivery May '15

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast