Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Found it. And as I suspected not on this site. Have a look here

https://www.v8forum.co.uk/forum/view...hilit=oil+sump

Don't know if I'm allowed to add links to other sites but sometimes it's easier to ask forgivness rather than permissiom.

Thanks GD cobra for a pointer to an excellent thread. Having measured some things and put some thought in i’ve reached some conclusions.

The dipstick is longer than the vertical depth of the block, so goes in at an angle. When I used a coat hanger to measure “correct” depth I now surmise that the coat hanger (being at an angle) slid along the base of the sump until it hit the rear of the sump, or a baffle - 11 cm longer than the dipstick. The engine builder says there’s no baffles, but he did build it 2 years ago.

This leads me to assume that the dipstick is too long , hence it says “full” at 3 litres. Having measured the sump which has a shallow end and a deep end (the dipstick goes into the deep end) the sump has a capacity of 7.4 litres, based on external dimensions.

I’m guessing that when the engine was built, it was filled to the max line - 3 litres, and I have kept it topped up to the max line. It doesn’t appear to burn much oil nor drop much on the floor. Since then I have sent a pic of the sump to the engine builder to ask which sump he thinks it is, and hopefully provide an estimate of the capacity.

A question I have now is this: I assume the travel of the big ends / crank doesn’t dip below the line of the engine block and into the volume of the sump - therefore if the sump is filled to the brim (approx 7.4 litres) this won’t cause an issue ?
    David (AKA Firestarter29)

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

You don't want to be filling the sump to the brim, the crank throws occupy some of that volume. If you take the width and length of the deep part (in CM) and multiply that by the depth of the deep part minus the depth of the shallow part you should be about there.

Personally I'd be whipping the sump off and measuring the position of the dipstick marks in relation to the sump mount face (I gave a measurement in that post, measured vertically down NOT at the angle of the dipstick. It's the only way to know exactly what is going on and this is something you don't want guess at.

I agree with GDCobra the crank will occupy some of the sump area. The only proper way to do this is to remove the sump and work it all out properly.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

I reckon we’re overthinking this!

Post a picture of the sump, the collective wisdom on here will tell you what it is from.....then fill accordingly. If the dipstick then lies......get the right one.

Rgds

Jim
    GD Mk3 Jag based
    Supercharged LS1
    GD J1M

4D918445-62E4-46D5-B3AF-429DA93C0EE0.jpeg

I think Yr right Jim, hopefully I’ve got this right, although it maybe upside down...
    David (AKA Firestarter29)

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jim View Post
    I reckon we’re overthinking this!

Post a picture of the sump, the collective wisdom on here will tell you what it is from.....then fill accordingly. If the dipstick then lies......get the right one.

Rgds

Jim
    Maybe hut it's not such a big job to drop the sump (if the space under the engine is clear of cross members) and then there would be no mystery.

SD1 with the bottom chopped off - so your 3L volume might actually be correct . . . (SD1 holds 4.8L to max line)
    Last edited by russell_ram2; 25-02-19 at 07:47 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12