Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Here is a picture of the springs.
    As I said, if you want them you can have them. If you can wait, I'll be at the kit car show, which is only 9 or so weeks away... Or posting is possible, but maybe not much cheaper than buying a brand new pair from Burtons.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --
    Richard
    GD Mk3 LS6

If you wanted uprated springs, it looks like rally design do the cortina v6 front springs in 1" drop. These are 275lbs/in.
    http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product...oducts_id=9414
    --
    Richard
    GD Mk3 LS6

Ooo this is really helpful chaps! Thank you.

I’ve just leafed through the 2nd pilgrim build manual I’ve got (1991 v6, and 1991 v8 variant) and I found some hand written notes from my late dad....

It lists 200 - 240 - 260 - 280 lb foot and 12.5 long as all pilgrim recommended options for the front springs.... with 260 circled as his choice (I think). It also listed 410lb and 14” for the rear.

Accepting mine is a good inch or two lower at the rear than stock (not sure if that would affect the front?) My options would logically be special order of either: 11” and 240 or 12.5 and 260
    or off the shelf 12” 275?

I’m guessing there would be not much difference between the latter pair in terms of ride height... but a big difference compared to the 11”?

Hi Alex,
    What is your compressed front spring length? A reasonable rstone of front corner weight is 530lbs, so with a 240lbs/in spring you should expect about 2.2in of compression. 260lbs/in gives about 2.04in compression, and 275lbs/in about 1.97in. If you want to maintain the same ride height you have now, then add the appropriate number above to you existing compressed length. You'll notice the difference between rates won't affect ride height much, but free length will.

You don't really want the front riding higher than the rear, so measure what you have now.

Another friend also has a mk2 Sumo, and his original front springs were the same as mine. My mk2 was quite a late one, about 1998 I think, so could be a bit different to yours.

Hope this helps!

Don't forget to subtract unsprung weight from corner weight to work out what the spring is actually subjected to..

Clearly, there's a bit more than casual knowledge about spring rates on here! OK, I'll measure up at the weekend.

Can I just check - you and your mate had the ford top wishbones and not the pilgrim ones?

Yes, original Cortina front arms.
    It was a few years ago now, but I spent too long calculating new spring rates
    --
    Richard
    GD Mk3 LS6

Hi.

A shiny new set of bespoke 11" 240lbs cortina mk4 size front springs ordered from a very helpful chap at Dampertech should be fitted in the next few days...

I'll take some pics to show the finished height..

Fingers crossed!

Alex

Looking forward to the pictures
    --
    Richard
    GD Mk3 LS6

I’m at a loss....

fitted new 11” 240lb springs, ride now height is way too low. I can fix that.... but it’s still low on one side. 3cm lower on the new springs (measured to the body rather than chassis by the garage) but even accounting for that being off I can see it’s still way off. Between n/s and o/s

Old springs measured 12 and a quarter inch, one was maybe 3mm shorter out of the car. But new ones measure identically. I’m guessing I need 12” standard springs but it still doesn’t solve my ride height difference at the front.

Bushes look/feel ok. Visually there’s no difference in chassis hard points. No obvious cracks or bends. Shocks look ok but wouldn’t make a difference to height.

Garage is now going to go through and measure all hard points.

Bent lower wishbone???

I’m at a loss.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast